MLC nominations open

notwell

In what is not a reference to DF or any other specific individual,  anyone who wishes to be/considers themselves suitable as an MLC should instantly be precluded from appointment. And, frankly, that applies to MHKs too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Uhtred said:

In what is not a reference to DF or any other specific individual,  anyone who wishes to be/considers themselves suitable as an MLC should instantly be precluded from appointment. And, frankly, that applies to MHKs too.

Not sure I get that.  You have to stand for election as an MHK, electioneer, kiss babies etc.  Why would you be forced to do that if you didn' think you were suitable?

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not sure I get that.  You have to stand for election as an MHK, electioneer, kiss babies etc.  Why would you be forced to do that if you didn' think you were suitable?

Sorry Gladys, probably far too late at night to make sense when I posted that! I was (poorly) attempting to be mildly philosophical. All I meant was that anyone who has an unshakeable conviction that they’re splendid political material, probably isn’t!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kipper99 said:

Derek thinks he’s an original thinker, problem is that thought is the only original thought he’s ever had.

In the police he slavishly followed the College of Policing handbook, for everything. Apart from the fact that it’s a phony “college” set up to try and professionalise the police and make it look as if there is something of intellectual rigour about training, procedure  and planning, he never got a grasp of the fact that what might apply to a huge force in England probably needed amending to use in the Island, or was wholly inappropriate even as a starting place.

How he’ll manage  at the hospital, where there isn’t a handbook, and if there was it would suffer from the same defects as the police one, remains to be seen.

No he didn’t actually.

i think it’s fair to say that paddling your own canoe in a British Islands Police Force, which follows similar laws, rules, practice and procedures, would be foolish in the extreme.

we could “do our own thing” in Armed Policing, Custody, Road Death Investigation, Serious Crime Investigation, of course we could. Then comes the fateful day that something goes wrong. What standard do you think we will be measured by? Do you think the Coroner, The barristers, the insurers, the HSWI are going to say, “ah, it’s just the Isle of Man, they are different, so what If their firearms training wasn’t up to nationally auditable standards. Who cares if they way they ran custody was sloppy, shoddy, and put people at risk?”

Are they hell.

if you knew even half as much as you profess to know, you’d understand that Authorised Professional Practice is followed to keep people safe, and drive professionalism. You’d also know that there were indeed some areas that couldn’t be replicated in a small Island Force in the way they could in a large county or metropolitan one. In those instances, policy decisions were made, based on a decision model as to why that was. Those decisions were recorded in a form where they could be recovered for scrutiny if something went wrong.

And if you think that hospitals aren’t operated to stringent practice standards, then you are even more naive than you appear at first blush.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You need to read up on the last 2 months or so on here, then come back judging me.

I started reading Manx Forums about the time you started a thread, stating categorically you were never coming back.  I find some of the  psychology displayed on forums such as this interesting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

I think he meant anyone who thinks they are suitable probably isn’t. 

There’s something a bit deluded in thinking you’re the man who can fix all the problems especially in a system of independents, where there’s no party acting as a filter or sounding board. 

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

For the record, you won’t be seeing my name on the MLC list.

why anyone would want to go through all that when you can just log on to Manx Forums and get a drubbing?

That other well known F-book site devoted to IOM life should be mentioned. Many well known nutters n loony tunes on there, ready to hammer new MLCs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I see that David Anderson in stepping down so there are five vacancies.

Wanting to spend more time on environmental issues, perhaps..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3