MLC nominations open

notwell

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

And if you think that hospitals aren’t operated to stringent practice standards, then you are even more naive than you appear at first blush.

The problem is when something does go wrong. The 'Management Suite', whose significant amount of their work appears to be firefighting complaints, will be 'onside' to keep the lid on things.

There needs to be some sort of mechanism whereby there is a people's bench, like the public gallery. And open to all.

Amongst that people's bench candidates are forwarded for the Legislative Council. House of Keys would still have to nominate and vote.

This would allow the people to know and understand the candidates before election. The people's bench could have other functions.

Given that there are now 5 vacancies (and remember only 7 of the 9 LegCo members are elected) the chances of some MHKs taking the easy option and running upstairs seems very likely. If we presume that none of the 12 newbies from 2016 ditch Keys this early, who do we think will look for the cushy option? Malarkey...Beecroft...Robertshaw? Whereas the latter would fancy it I reckon, I don’t think his keys colleagues would give him the votes, disliking him as they do. Beecroft’s stock with the voters must be on the floor so even though the next election is years away, she might see LegCo as a very useful lifeboat. Her colleagues may be happy to boot her arse out of Keys too. Malarkey probably wouldn’t want to relinquish the rarified atmosphere of Ministerial rank.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1

What happens with the extra vacancy now up?  I assume applications are now closed so do they open up another application process for Anderson’s post or just spread the existing chaff around a wider number of roles? Some one could really luck out if it’s the latter. Been turned down 4 times for 4 vacant posts but gets the 5th role as last man standing. Does anyone know? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

What happens with the extra vacancy now up?  I assume applications are now closed so do they open up another application process for Anderson’s post or just spread the existing chaff around a wider number of roles? Some one could really luck out if it’s the latter. Been turned down 4 times for 4 vacant posts but gets the 5th role as last man standing. Does anyone know? 

Nominations for LegCo don't close until Friday 23rd February, with the election on Monday 12th March.  Looking at Standing Orders, they will presumably just treat it as having five vacancies  and so MHKs will all have five votes to cast.  That Press Release has much guff from Rodan about how "In the past, Tynwald has been perceived as a 'club'. I want to combat that perception and make it easy for anyone to offer themselves as a potential Member", but of course you now have to find four members of the Keys to back you rather than two, so they've actually made it even more club-like.

One of the many oddities about LegCo is that you can't actually resign from it straight away.  You have to give notice that that you will be resigning in a month's time[1].  This is presumably why Anderson has announced it now so his successor can be elected at the same time as the other four[2]

Given how Lisvane suggested that existing MHKs shouldn't be allowed to stand for LegCo, I would expect none of the existing ones to dare, but then most of Lisvane's recommendations have already been ignored, so some might be shameless enough to.  The only thing they seem to be united on is that the public should have nothing to do with the process.

[1]  I suspect this dates from when all the members were employees of the Governor, Crown or Church, rather than politicians, and so it is like resigning from a job.

[2] It's actually eight members out of ten of LegCo who are elected (in two lots of four) plus the Bishop and the Attorney General, although the Attorney General doesn't have a vote.

• Like 1

I don't recall Mr Corkish ever having done a lot in the House of Keys, or even said much. Certainly didn't grab the bull by the horns and take a Private Members Bill through Tynwald or any such matter that took a bit of political spunk. He was given a safe ride into the Legislative Council, which caused a by-election and Chris Thomas was elected - he's one of the better MHKs I would say. Maybe if there is one of the less politically salubrious MHKs (or even a few) willing to accept they'd be better taking a bit of an even more backseat (same pay mind) then it would give a chance for a half-decent candidate to take their place. In this place anything is possible.