MLC nominations open

notwell

21 minutes ago, Craig King said:

I don't recall Mr Corkish ever having done a lot in the House of Keys, or even said much. Certainly didn't grab the bull by the horns and take a Private Members Bill through Tynwald or any such matter that took a bit of political spunk. He was given a safe ride into the Legislative Council, which caused a by-election and Chris Thomas was elected - he's one of the better MHKs I would say. Maybe if there is one of the less politically salubrious MHKs (or even a few) willing to accept they'd be better taking a bit of an even more backseat (same pay mind) then it would give a chance for a half-decent candidate to take their place. In this place anything is possible. 

Moorehouse is the obvious candidate in that case. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2bees said:

Oh how fun! I could do that ... Not a clue what it entails but I'm sure I'd be very good at it. Oh go on someone put me forward :)

I NOMINATE BEES....(can I carry your luggage on the free jaunts)

2 hours ago, Craig King said:

I don't recall Mr Corkish ever having done a lot in the House of Keys, or even said much. Certainly didn't grab the bull by the horns and take a Private Members Bill through Tynwald or any such matter that took a bit of political spunk. He was given a safe ride into the Legislative Council, which caused a by-election and Chris Thomas was elected - he's one of the better MHKs I would say. Maybe if there is one of the less politically salubrious MHKs (or even a few) willing to accept they'd be better taking a bit of an even more backseat (same pay mind) then it would give a chance for a half-decent candidate to take their place. In this place anything is possible. 

Geoff Corkish has taken £50k a year for doing absolutely fuck all for far too long. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

How much are Mars Bars?

Very expensive it seems. 

In other circumstances Skelly would be a very good bet to be shunted upstairs but Quayle probably won’t want another Ministerial change...although there’s nothing in practice to prevent Skelly retaining his seat at the big table of course, if moved to LegCo.

When you eliminate the Ministers and the newbies, the MHK pool of candidates is shallow indeed. Perhaps a number of non-Tynwald appointments may happen.

Edited by Uhtred

52 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Lord Lisvane (Bob, to his mates) must be either peeing himself with laughter or crying in his beer. Either way, his time spent on his Review has counted for nothing.

They hear not, neither do they understand!

Joking apart, the extent to which our laughably titled national parliament has ignored Lisvane is shocking really.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Geoff Corkish has taken £50k a year for doing absolutely fuck all for far too long. 

Even Watterson who either proposed or seconded him (can't remember which) said during his speech that his contributions in Keys had "been few"....

I'm sure he's made worthwhile additions to the Arts Council and the Ecclesiastical Committee though...

• Haha 1

The Legislative Council didn't sit last week because there was nothing for them to do. Today they only have two First ReadingsThe first reading draws attention to the Bill before the Council. Unlike the first reading in the House of Keys, the Member outlines the purposes of the Bill at this stage and there is a debate on the principles underlying the Bill. 

That should take 20 minutes max, I reckon. (They may have 'other' work to do after they dismiss, as they keep insisting).

It has been suggested on this thread, albeit tongue in cheek, that someone on Manx Forums should be nominated. I think I know Manx Forums well enough to know that no one here would have the barefaced gall to take one of the most laid back jobs but oh so lovely paid and pensioned, in the 'best club in the World'. 

Hmm, let's see who are lining themselves up for one of the golden chairs. 

Edited by Craig King