MLC nominations open

Poole-Wilson and Lord-Brennan are fine original Manx surnames. Just like Takayama and Ndingi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You get the impression that Humbles got her support by wandering around Prospect Hill (where presumably she works some of the time), pestering MHKs to back her like a small child getting sponsors for

While people who have worked all their lives are having their assets stripped so that they can afford care, Phil Gawne made sure that his rich landowning mates were able to have a similar deal as UK a

In all fairness, I couldn’t care less whether the proposed/nominated/shoo-in/handed seat MLC was born here or not. What matters to me is they have a brain, able to use it. Have Common Sense and able t

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Declan said:

I don’t see why. If they were limited to one nomination each that would lead to a maximum number of candidates of 6.

Why 6? There are 24 members of the keys. Nominating is different from seconding and assenting.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Why 6? There are 24 members of the keys. Nominating is different from seconding and assenting.

They also require 2 supporters. So each candidate needs. 

I suppose it depends on what Donald means by “nominated”. 

24 minutes ago, Declan said:

They also require 2 supporters. So each candidate needs. 

I suppose it depends on what Donald means by “nominated”. 

Each member may nominate as many candidates as there are vacancies.

Each candidate must have a proposer, who nominates, a seconder and two supporters.

Seconding, or supporting, doesn’t appear to count towards the limit on nominating.

However there is a technical limit on nominations, to maintain the nominal fairness, independence, openness and transparency of the process 2 MHKs are appointed as scrutineers. They can’t nominate.

if 22 MHKs have nominated and then the 23rd one does, that nomination is invalid.

The standing order is incredibly badly written.

and it’s bizarre that when the vote is taken they can vote for, or against, or abstain, each of the candidates.

To win

a. You must have more votes for than against

b. Candidates with the most votes win in order of the number of votes in favour, until the vacant seats are filled

c. If there is an equality of votes for the final seat then it’s finished by lot.

Thats how I read it.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Anyone know who the two scrutineering MHKs will be for this month's elections?

Well, as it should be two members who’s competence, ability and integrity is beyond reproach, how about Skelly and Beecroft? That’s the usual Keys logic.

53 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Each member may nominate as many candidates as there are vacancies.

Each candidate must have a proposer, who nominates, a seconder and two supporters.

Seconding, or supporting, doesn’t appear to count towards the limit on nominating.

However there is a technical limit on nominations, to maintain the nominal fairness, independence, openness and transparency of the process 2 MHKs are appointed as scrutineers. They can’t nominate.

if 22 MHKs have nominated and then the 23rd one does, that nomination is invalid.

The standing order is incredibly badly written.

and it’s bizarre that when the vote is taken they can vote for, or against, or abstain, each of the candidates.

To win

a. You must have more votes for than against

b. Candidates with the most votes win in order of the number of votes in favour, until the vacant seats are filled

c. If there is an equality of votes for the final seat then it’s finished by lot.

Thats how I read it.

Wasn't the latest system intended to simplify things?  The one before that was supposed to do the same but it led to Mr Anderson breaking the all-time world record of ballots to get elected.

I suppose for a guaranteed £1000 plus a week for the next 5 years and having the power to directly impact on all of our lives,, we need to be sure we have the right people in place. Either that or it is all just a ridiculous obfuscating expensive pantomime farce.

59 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Anyone know who the two scrutineering MHKs will be for this month's elections?

Not decided until the vote, but it can’t be anyone who has proposed/nominated. That’s why there is the save all that nominations by the 23rd and 24th MHK are disregarded.

So there are always two left standing.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 1

So, up to 22 mhks can nominate up to 5 candidates each. But there's no limit to the number they can second or support.

In fact there's no limit to the number of candidates they can vote for, if I read John's post correctly. 

In fact if six mhks vote for a candidate each and everyone else abstains, would there be 6 people elected.  

Or if 13 mhks all decide to vote no against every candidate nobody would be elected. 

Edited by Declan