• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Neither am I.

No, I ate them all.

Ok, thanks! What are her login details?

Thanks Stu and anyone else who's bought it. Today is already one of my top selling days, with 3 purchased.

I say, are the people who buy your tale revealed to you as an Amazon seller? I'd buy one, I enjoyed the look inside preview, but I wouldn't want to compromise my MF anonymity.

I've no idea who's bought it unles they (the purchaser) tell me. All I can see is sales numbers by currency.

I bought a copy, but I gave my name as Mr Llap and my address as The Starship Enterprise.

Seriously though I have a copy now and as Tesco say "every little helps" thumbsup.gif

The daunting thing is not so much the writing of the novel it's the all the redrafts and revisions needed to get it publishable.

I wrote and read at a short story open mic night recently. That story was only a few pages and it took several rewrites to remove any ambiguities and get every word earning it's keep.

• Like 1

The daunting thing is not so much the writing of the novel it's the all the redrafts and revisions needed to get it publishable.

I wrote and read at a short story open mic night recently. That story was only a few pages and it took several rewrites to remove any ambiguities and get every word earning it's keep.

And eliminate unnecessary apostrophes!

I don't believe in redrafts. Like Tesla, "My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists." inspiration flows within you and from the universe: you just have to tune in and listen. :)

• Like 1

And eliminate unnecessary apostrophes!

...and parentheses. They really aren't as necessary (or desirable) as some writers seem to believe.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

Llap - That assumes you are capturing the Universal waves and inspiration accurately the first time. I suspect your brain is an imperfect receiver and your fingers an inefficient transmitter of universal wisdom. I mean you are even thrown by an unusual keyboard layout.

For poems and lyrics pencil and paper always.

For prose, a mixture, I rather like being able to organise it in sections which might move to a different place in the final piece and not necessarily having to write in order which the final piece will be read. So I use the application Scrivner, which is handy for organising thoughts, character sketches etc. But often when writing individual sections and capturing ideas pencil and paper can be best.

Do you not find though transferring from a hand-written draft to a PC you inevitably edit and re-write?

I draft on paper, sketching out the structure and basic thrust of everything, focusing more on getting everything in the right place than getting the prose perfect, and then edit as I'm transferring it to PC. But only after I've spent five hours fiddling around with fonts (until I invariably settle on Caslon or Alegreya again) and margins.

That said, everything I write is pish and never gets finished, so this may not be the ideal model.

I draft on paper, sketching out the structure and basic thrust of everything, focusing more on getting everything in the right place than getting the prose perfect, and then edit as I'm transferring it to PC. But only after I've spent five hours fiddling around with fonts (until I invariably settle on Caslon or Alegreya again) and margins.

That said, everything I write is pish and never gets finished, so this may not be the ideal model.

Not only can you spend hours fiddling with font and formatting you can play around with the structure for hours too!