Can You Resist A Police Officer?

"I don't think being clever [AKA knowing the law] with a police officer tends to end well."

Okay, so we should just submit to their authorit-eh and accept we live in a lawless police state. Let's just throw out rule of law. Let's bring in Judge Dredd policemen who are jury and executioner. Why bother with laws?

I think you're misunderstanding me, perhaps deliberately. I'm not saying you're wrong about knowing the law and your rights but surely you'd accept that for the majority of people arguing the toss with a police officer is unlikely to end well. I'm not saying it's right but that's the way it is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless you're a burglar.

So is the price of a Lamborghini.

Would this be before or after you broke down crying?

Posted Images

I don't think it would be "arguing the toss" if I took issue with being unjustifiably stopped. Perhaps it's because I'm such a law-abiding and respectable person that I would take issue if they did unjustifiably stop me. I've never been stopped by a police officer, never been involved in anything with them in a personal capacity, and have nothing but positive things to say about my experiences with them. By the way, I've noticed about a 1,000% increase in the number of police cars passing me since posting on this thread.

I purposely stated earlier that i was talking generally and not personally. I'm not questioning whether or not you personally know the law and applicable rights inside out. I'm talking about the general situation, can you accept that a significant proportion of people would only end up talking themselves into a worse situation?

I presume your suggestion of the police now watching you is only a joke.

I purposely stated earlier that i was talking generally and not personally. I'm not questioning whether or not you personally know the law and applicable rights inside out. I'm talking about the general situation, can you accept that a significant proportion of people would only end up talking themselves into a worse situation?

I presume your suggestion of the police now watching you is only a joke.

I accept that an ordinary person would only end up talking themselves into a worse situation.

It isn't.

The law is quite clear about what constitutes "reasonable".

Erm, no. It depends on the circumstances, all of which you have to weigh up in a split second if you want to make the right decision.

Erm, yes. Context is obviously a major factor but the law does allow us to figure out if it is reasonable or unreasonable. Without that, we might has well just throw out all law and allow the police to arbitrarily stop and search anyone for no reason whatsoever. I'm afraid over a millennia of British legal precedent - not to mention a major civil war - saying that state authority and its officials cannot act arbitrarily make that very plain.

That must be why I got sent down for resisting after that brawl outside Paramount---I should have cited the English Civil War as precedent. Next time.

It's a shame they cannot take a firmer stance when dealing with criminals.

So Pava spray, batons and savage dogs aren't enough?

Batons and dogs are never used on people and pava is a safer way of restraining people than actually fighting with them

It's a shame they cannot take a firmer stance when dealing with criminals.

So Pava spray, batons and savage dogs aren't enough?
Batons and dogs are never used on people and pava is a safer way of restraining people than actually fighting with them

Pava spray sounds good to me. I don't see why the police should have to put up with such violence when they can just spray the twat in the face and watch him go blind.

• Like 1