Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Time for the annual road tax hike

You pay more VAT and fuel duty in a larger engine car too. And since we actually pay almost £1.00 per gallon more for fuel here, it's a real money spinner.

• Like 2

I see the top two categories of most polluting gas guzzlers with highest co2 emissions are getting a substantial reduction.

.......that wouldn't be because a lot of the privileged folk have vehicles with large engines............would it?.......

..............I have a large engine car, very second hand so I'm not complaining just commenting................

I doubt the 'privileged ' folk really care too much about a few hundred quid here or there on road tax.

• Like 1

To be fair they're busy means testing everything they can and shafting the biggest contributers anyway. Just add it to the list lofty.

You pay more VAT and fuel duty in a larger engine car too. And since we actually pay almost £1.00 per gallon more for fuel here, it's a real money spinner.

It is unfair though is it not? It encourages people to continue to buy huge engined 4x4 cars that rip our roads up and clog up our car parks, and it penalises people who are being socially responsible by buying fuel efficient cars. But then again it's generally farmers and landowners who buy big Range Rovers so no doubt the CM doesn't want to alienate his mates. As with a lot in the IOM currently it's only the poor who are asked to pay more.

I agree that chelsea tractor land rovers etc should be hammered on road tax.

perhaps that's the only countermeasure for the state of the roads :lol:

My 1985 motorbike just cost £15 to tax, which is delightul. Especially as it's loud, smelly, greasy, polluting and inefficient (yes, just like me!).

• Like 4

I see the top two categories of most polluting gas guzzlers with highest co2 emissions are getting a substantial reduction.

I can't wait to see the justification for this. No doubt the "biggest contributors to our society already" or something along those lines.

.......that wouldn't be because a lot of the privileged folk have vehicles with large engines............would it?.......

..............I have a large engine car, very second hand so I'm not complaining just commenting................

Some people have this type of vehicle because they need it not because they are privilaged.

My 4 x 4 is almost £600 a year to tax - more than a LGV

Its about time I got a substantial reduction

I would point out that I live on a farm and my trucks are very well used for the purpose they were intended for so.......I agree with you........but we aren't the ones making the decisions.............are we?

Edited by doc.fixit

I can't wait to see the justification for this. No doubt the "biggest contributors to our society already" or something along those lines.

Lol.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the proposed rates are?

Uk has increased the tax on hybrids up to £130 from zero.