Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Time for the annual road tax hike

41 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I have yet to see a justification for this and I hope it gets a hard time in Tynwald. 

Some vehicles in the small engined and popular 1.4Litre classification are £34.00 per annum more expensive than in the UK. (i.e. IoM = £64.00, same vehicle in the UK = £30.00.) This is without doubt a massive revenue animal, directed at the largest motoring group.

There is typical politicians waffle around commercial vehicle owners being slightly better off, alongside Bentley owners!  

Me too. Given the money they've misdirected if not squandered in the last 18 months alone. A fine set of dummy lighthouses as well now, on the new Laxey bridge. To what purpose? They picked a functional design of bridge to allow as much water to flow as possible in the future. So why the pointless and no doubt expensive decorations? This is what pisses taxpayers off.

• Like 3

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, Max Power said:

I have yet to see a justification for this and I hope it gets a hard time in Tynwald. 

Some vehicles in the small engined and popular 1.4Litre classification are £34.00 per annum more expensive than in the UK. (i.e. IoM = £64.00, same vehicle in the UK = £30.00.) This is without doubt a massive revenue animal, directed at the largest motoring group.

There is typical politicians waffle around commercial vehicle owners being slightly better off, alongside Bentley owners!  

All cars should pay the same. All vans should pay the same and all over 3 ton should pay the same.

Why the f*** should I pay almost £400 for my car when some tree hugging "green" pays £50 because their car is newer.

I get less that 20 mpg so pay loads into the kitty with the cost of fuel, whereas the greens pay a little more than f*** all . 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

All cars should pay the same. All vans should pay the same and all over 3 ton should pay the same.

Why the f*** should I pay almost £400 for my car when some tree hugging "green" pays £50 because their car is newer.

I get less that 20 mpg so pay loads into the kitty with the cost of fuel, whereas the greens pay a little more than f*** all . 

Fuel tax makes sense in your case.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tarne said:

"But the environment!" 

Fuck the environment.

China pumps out more shite than us, even if the whole GB had cars like mine.

Mind you, the spares might be affordable if that was the case.  

• Like 1

It will be worth watching who supports and who opposes this, come the vote. Given the previous "concerns" voiced about the continual drip of tax increases. Let's see how many members of the nodding dog club we have.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tarne said:

"But the environment!" 

It's got nothing to do with the environment. The minute there are more electric cars than petrol or diesel they'll invent a reason for increasing the tax on them as well. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hboy said:

It's got nothing to do with the environment. The minute there are more electric cars than petrol or diesel they'll invent a reason for increasing the tax on them as well. 

In one !!

I know, I was being facetious 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

That's very astute of you. 

There are no borders in the atmosphere, we share it. Their shite is our shite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

There are no borders in the atmosphere

No, but if there were, theirs would be much bigger than ours. 

7 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

No, but if there were, theirs would be much bigger than ours. 

Well, from what I've read, Theirs are much smaller than ours. :lol:

• Like 2

Is it true that there is going to be a flat rate of £200 for commercial vans? I had a look of gov.im  but just got annoyed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Is it true that there is going to be a flat rate of £200 for commercial vans? I had a look of gov.im  but just got annoyed

It would appear so, but how they will know whether you are using a van for commercial use or not is anyone's guess. I can imagine a sudden spike in new "businesses"popping up though..

• Like 1