Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Time for the annual road tax hike

3 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

It would appear so, but how they will know whether you are using a van for commercial use or not is anyone's guess. I can imagine a sudden spike in new "businesses"popping up though..

And imaginative owners creating new "Chelsea Tractor Light Commercial" classes.....

37 minutes ago, Billy the Kid said:

Is it true that all motorcycles over 125cc will be taxed at £50 per year?

I wish. Mine is £74 for a 988cc.

There should definitely be a punitive charge for Chelsea Tractors. They take up lots more road space and parking space than your normal "small passenger vehicle"

The iniquity is that my small Toyota Yaris, on unleaded petrol with catalytic converter, is taxed the same as something much bigger which churns out noxious fumes.

why just Chelsea tractors? I would suggest that the current trend for VW t4and5, Transit, Veto etc. vans used as trendy day vans means there are many of those as well and they take up just as much room as Chelsea tractors.

I actually don't mind any of them and the hypocrisy of gunning just for Chelsea tractors is just thoughtless when My Volvo v70 estate , for instance is just as big, probably a little longer as are most big Jags, Mercs and Beemers.

What is it about SUVs?? I really don't understand. It's no good saying well they are four wheel drive either,'cos so is my V70 and a whole lot of other saloon cars.

If you don't like all big cars just say so it would be much more logical.

34 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Somewhat amazingly they have pulled it. For now.

They'll be waiting to get a "full house" before it comes back, with a few minor mods and sweeteners thrown in to make sure it goes through. My MHK (Hooper) wasn't going to support it in its present form, I'm told. Well done.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They'll be waiting to get a "full house" before it comes back, with a few minor mods and sweeteners thrown in to make sure it goes through. My MHK (Hooper) wasn't going to support it in its present form, I'm told. Well done.

If he has a Quayle shilling, he will toe the line along with the rest of them !!

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

There should definitely be a punitive charge for Chelsea Tractors. They take up lots more road space and parking space than your normal "small passenger vehicle"

The iniquity is that my small Toyota Yaris, on unleaded petrol with catalytic converter, is taxed the same as something much bigger which churns out noxious fumes.

The bigger cars are paying more in fuel tax so that is probably keeping your Yaris tax down, you cant have it both ways.

We all know the roads are in a dreadfull state and they need money to fix them, or do you want more pot holes and lower road tax. Time they got rid of the lowest rate as only a few pence a day- not contributing anything really.(almost free)

I hope he kicks the electric car zero rate into the undergrowth as all cars should pay, i dont see them as a special case-if it turns a wheel on the road then it pays to do so. Lets face it they tax the life out of a motorbike in comparison

• Like 3

Heavy goods vehicles do the most damage to roads and are obviously an essential part of a modern economy. Cars, no matter what size they are cause negligible damage comparatively to roads that should be engineered with HGVs in mind. On that basis, and if road maintenance is to be mooted as the main reason for tariff setting, there should be a flat rate rate for all cars. 

7 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Heavy goods vehicles do the most damage to roads and are obviously an essential part of a modern economy. Cars, no matter what size they are cause negligible damage comparatively to roads that should be engineered with HGVs in mind. On that basis, and if road maintenance is to be mooted as the main reason for tariff setting, there should be a flat rate rate for all cars. 

A lot of HGV's are "taxed" at around £2000 per year. The heaviest ones are run with "air suspension" and don't cause anything like the amount of damage that folk think.

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

That doesn't make much sense though, because, although there were a lot of absences today, none of the them were ministers.  The five in  Canada are all newbies, Watterson was away at a family wedding and Crookall was at another CPA junket.  With  nine CoMin members plus three DoI members (Edge is one of the Famous Five) they had twelve votes already and there were only 24 Tynwald members present.  You can imagine some opposition from the likes of Turner, but they only needed one other vote.

I suspect there was either some internal problems in the DoI, or, more likely, there is some mix-up in the drafting and the actual measure didn't do what they said it did (and what is worse some outsider had spotted it).  Given that we are talking about the DoI and Manx legal standards, some sort of legislative car crash seems likely.

• Like 2