Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Time for the annual road tax hike

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That doesn't make much sense though, because, although there were a lot of absences today, none of the them were ministers.  The five in  Canada are all newbies, Watterson was away at a family wedding and Crookall was at another CPA junket.  With  nine CoMin members plus three DoI members (Edge is one of the Famous Five) they had twelve votes already and there were only 24 Tynwald members present.  You can imagine some opposition from the likes of Turner, but they only needed one other vote.

I suspect there was either some internal problems in the DoI, or, more likely, there is some mix-up in the drafting and the actual measure didn't do what they said it did (and what is worse some outsider had spotted it).  Given that we are talking about the DoI and Manx legal standards, some sort of legislative car crash seems likely.

You used to be all facts and figures Roger, now your as cynical as the rest of us.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

A lot of HGV's are "taxed" at around £2000 per year. The heaviest ones are run with "air suspension" and don't cause anything like the amount of damage that folk think.

All the sources I can find state that they cause the most damage, ie damage that is caused by vehicles. Other things such as the weather also cause damage. 

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

A lot of HGV's are "taxed" at around £2000 per year. The heaviest ones are run with "air suspension" and don't cause anything like the amount of damage that folk think.

If they used helium instead of air they'd cause even less damage. 

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That doesn't make much sense though, because, although there were a lot of absences today, none of the them were ministers.  The five in  Canada are all newbies, Watterson was away at a family wedding and Crookall was at another CPA junket.  With  nine CoMin members plus three DoI members (Edge is one of the Famous Five) they had twelve votes already and there were only 24 Tynwald members present.  You can imagine some opposition from the likes of Turner, but they only needed one other vote.

I suspect there was either some internal problems in the DoI, or, more likely, there is some mix-up in the drafting and the actual measure didn't do what they said it did (and what is worse some outsider had spotted it).  Given that we are talking about the DoI and Manx legal standards, some sort of legislative car crash seems likely.

It sounds like your last paragraph is nearer the truth Roger - http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_475401.html

The whole things is a dogs dinner - ill conceived and badly drafted. No doubt instigated by some overpaid senior civil servant who has made a lash of it, and Ray wasn't sharp enough to spot the gaff before unwittingly putting his pen to paper and signing on the dotted line. It does put into question whether he is up to the job..listening to him on the radio he struggles to sound credible...there again, he is not alone.

u turns wear roads out ffs!

Makes one wonder if the jungle drums of discontent and rebellion actually reached levels that were audible to even the cloth-ears of the DOI CS..?

Maybe, just maybe, the message that people have had enough is starting to get through. But I doubt it. It will return in revised but equally revenue raising form when adequate levels of support are present. Remember, most of them are Departmental members of one sort or another, not just Ministers. Collective responsibility and all that.

• Like 1

There's no way they've pulled it because of public discontent, they don't give a shit about that, there must be another reason. Maybe they didnt put the prices up enough?

• Like 2

Could it be they occasionally read this forum?  I have long held the view that if some of its contributors could manage to cut out the silly swearing and bickering, MF could offer a platform for informed debate providing a proper reference point for our many strands of government to gauge the mood of the people.

When I arrived, this was a low tax island, governed with a gentle touch.  Now, I feel our masters are rapidly becoming detached, ignoring the views of the population.  We do not want or need higher taxes, simply more efficient use of the revenue currently raised.

Back to road tax, if they are reversing the rises, it may perhaps mean attitudes are changing.  I hope so.  There is no justification here for higher charges than the UK.

• Like 6

Guest MrFunk

I can assure you that the powers that be couldn't give a toss about a dozen people bickering online. :)  It is far more likely that enough members were either directly or had family members directly affected by this.

"We do not want or need higher taxes, simply more efficient use of the revenue currently raised."

I agree entirely.  Except of course > 90% of what they spend is spent on their own salaries, pensions and the benefits system.  The same people who form the majority of the electorate (government workers, pensioners and the lovely folk at your local sprawling council estate).  Hence the people working their assess off keeping the thing afloat will never get a government that even pretends to represent them, surely you've noticed that at every election for the past 20 years? Instead it's going to be continued fleecing until either the bank runs dry or somebody can come up with another good tax/vat fiddle.

I do not wish to derail this good topic away from road tax, but there are simply far too many politicians, commissioners and more for the size of this population.  For goodness sake, we are hardly the size of a town elsewhere.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

so it's all scrapped now, another U-turn :lol:

You can almost bet that they haven't backed down as they didn't have support. The DOI will have backed down as somebody will have screwed up the drafting on this and someone in Legco or elsewhere would have pointed it out to them that it would get kicked out on a technicality so they withdrew. It will have nothing to do with fairness or common sense. 

Edited by hboy