Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Hillside

Is Vodafone a better option?

I currently have a sim only contract with MT and pay £16 per month. I rarely use data and only really use phone and text.

I'm considering ditching the MT sim and going over to Vodafone where I understand you can get a similar sim only deal for the same cost or cheaper than MT dependent on how much traffic you want bundled into your monthly charge. The Vodafone Global Roaming deal applies to the IOM which means that you can sue your bundled minutes whilst here and you also have the benefit of your bundled minutes applying in most European countries, unlike MT where it the bundled package doesn't apply when you leave the IOM.

Apart from the fact that you would have to pay to get your Vodafone voicemail whilst in the IOM can anyone see any other pitfalls with this? Seems like a no brainer to me?

Presumably, you will need a UK address to bill it to, or someone else to get it on your behalf? If you travel off Island a lot, then it certainly makes sense. £9.50 for 250 minutes from pretty much anywhere in Europe sounds reasonable.

I currently have a sim only contract with MT and pay £16 per month. I rarely use data and only really use phone and text.

I'm considering ditching the MT sim and going over to Vodafone where I understand you can get a similar sim only deal for the same cost or cheaper than MT dependent on how much traffic you want bundled into your monthly charge. The Vodafone Global Roaming deal applies to the IOM which means that you can sue your bundled minutes whilst here and you also have the benefit of your bundled minutes applying in most European countries, unlike MT where it the bundled package doesn't apply when you leave the IOM.

Apart from the fact that you would have to pay to get your Vodafone voicemail whilst in the IOM can anyone see any other pitfalls with this? Seems like a no brainer to me?

You will need a UK address for billing. I tried it with 3 mobile, the IOM is on the feel at home scheme.

Presumably, you will need a UK address to bill it to, or someone else to get it on your behalf? If you travel off Island a lot, then it certainly makes sense. £9.50 for 250 minutes from pretty much anywhere in Europe sounds reasonable.

You order on line. They deliver and bill to Manx Addresses. There is however a fair use roaming policy which means that if you use it here more than a month they'll switch the roaming deal off.

• Like 1

There is however a fair use roaming policy which means that if you use it here more than a month they'll switch the roaming deal off.

That's the piece of the jigsaw that I hadn't found! Oh well seems like MT it is then!

• Like 1

I've been on Three / 3 PAYG for data on the advice of a bright friend since they enabled roaming on the IOM. Seems to work fine but I am not a heavy user. I have an idea that there was supposed to be the same "fair use" agreement. But it's been about 5 months now and I haven't been switched off. If they were to switch me off I would just get another sim. Main reason for switching was that I was sick of having to pay MT or Sure every month in order to occassionally use data when not on wifi. I never got anywhere near to using my allowance. Sim cost me slightly more than one month on MT - Sure and has 25 GB iirc. Also works in many other places.

MT - Sure should do PAYG data packages which don't expire after a month if they want to compete. It's bonkers that you can pay say £20 for data and it expires after a month even if you don't use it. And it's bonkers today that you can't use that data in the UK or Europe.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 3

As far as I know you can use Three for normal PAYG calls and texts, but and add-on  data will be subject to an allowance while roaming "abroad".  Or as I found out, I just couldn't connect to data at all with my remaining Three allowance on the IOM.  It may have required some secret APN that I couldn't find.

4 minutes ago, Bigclive said:

As far as I know you can use Three for normal PAYG calls and texts, but and add-on  data will be subject to an allowance while roaming "abroad".  Or as I found out, I just couldn't connect to data at all with my remaining Three allowance on the IOM.  It may have required some secret APN that I couldn't find.

As above - it's working fine for me. But I am only using it for data. I don't make calls on that number. I didn't need a "secret APN" the card came in the post and the setup was automated.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

I'm using Three as my secondary SIM too. I tend to use my phone pretty much exclusively for data services, with a couple of phone calls and SMSs thrown in.

What normally happens is that I top I my MT PAYG with £20 and get enough 20Gb for a month, but if I use my credit for data it gets eaten up in around 20 mins. So, once the month is up, I switch my phone to my Three SIM (which is a prepaid data SIM with 12Gb on it http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Plans?includedInternetAllowanceInMB=12GB ) while I use up my MT credit (usually takes around 6 weeks or so). Once the credit is used up, I top up my MT SIM and switch back. Been doing this for around 6 months or so without any issues so far ...

I love the fact that my One Plus takes 2 SIMs .. just have to change one setting to switch data from one to the other, and the arrangement above also means that when I'm off-island I can just switch to the Three SIM and keep that as my primary.

@Bigclive my APN settings come down automatically, but essentially the APN name is three.co.uk with no username or password (there are MMS settings too, if you want them)

• Like 1

If anyone is trying to use 3 in the island and it won't connect for data, try changing the APN to 3internet.

I have used Voda for years now but not exclusively in the island. It always works and has never been an issue. I'm presently paying £22.20 /month for 20GB Uk data and all calls & texts + 4GB roaming data and all calls & texts.

I gave up on MT in 1996 after a stupid dispute caused imo by their cornering of the market at the time. I only use them to get Domicilium broadband to my house and nothing else and if I could get a 4G deal like EE in the UK I wouldn't even need them for that.

Edited by ballaughbiker

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

If anyone is trying to use 3 in the island and it won't connect for data, try changing the APN to 3internet.

fyi the APN on my phone is three.co.uk

The APN on my MiFi is 3internet.

Yeah pongo whatever works. My 3 sim wouldn't work in Spain for data when set to three.co.uk (wot they tell you to use).

A phone call to their very helpful customer services suggested changing to 3internet and it worked.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a 4G router that can allow calls via the sim as well as managing the data?  Plenty have voip ports but I'd love to put my Voda sim into a 4G router in Europe but still make and receive calls on a handset also plugged into the router.

The only reason I'm using 3 above is because I loose calls when using the Voda sim in the router for data.