Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
llap

A science question for Chinahand/Gerrydandridge

Recommended Posts

I get so much abuse on this forum. I might just go and create a new name and stay clear of you trolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, llap said:

I get so much abuse on this forum. I might just go and create a new name and stay clear of you trolls.

Pointless.  Within a few posts, unless you radically change your style, your new ID will be outed as 'TPFKATJ'

Anyway, back to the topic.  Weight is a force that acts upon a body (by body I mean the physics sense, rather than your body) due to its presence in a gravitational field.  Mass is a measure of how much matter there is.  Weight is calculated by multiplying mass by the acceleration due to gravity.  On the surface of the earth, this is about 9.8 m/s^2, call it 10 for ease of calculation.  So if your mass is 80kg, you weigh 800N - N for Newton, being the SI unit of force.

Newton's equation of gravitational attraction is F = G*m1*m2/d^2 - the famous inverse square law that states that the force between two masses is proportional to the product of those masses divided by the square of the distance between them.  When one of those masses is the earth, the equation resolves to F=9.8m - unless you're on top of Everest or something when d is increased a bit (by 8000m or so, compared with the the normal value of 6500000 or thereabouts, being my estimate of the radius of the earth in metres) which reduces the figure of 9.8 to about 9.79, so not much difference.

This is all an approximation though.  Einstein realised that gravitational mass and inertial mass were equal, so that an observer cannot tell the difference between being in a gravitational field or an accelerating frame of reference.  From this, the only logical conclusion is that a gravitational 'force' is a consequence of a curvature in 4 dimensional spacetime.  So therefore there is no such thing as weight, only a tiny distortion of the space around you due to your mass which appears as a force.

Hope this helps!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just say your mass is 70kg then? Keeps the mass, weight and conversion to (imperial) Slugs easier.

 

Or just fookin Google it instead of asking dumbass questions on here and wasting helpful people's time and effort.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Why not. . .just fookin Google it instead of asking dumbass questions on here and wasting helpful people's time and effort.

 

Because that wouldn't stand the same chance of provoking a bit of piss-awful flat earth argie bargie?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Pointless.  Within a few posts, unless you radically change your style, your new ID will be outed as 'TPFKATJ'

Anyway, back to the topic.  Weight is a force that acts upon a body (by body I mean the physics sense, rather than your body) due to its presence in a gravitational field.  Mass is a measure of how much matter there is.  Weight is calculated by multiplying mass by the acceleration due to gravity.  On the surface of the earth, this is about 9.8 m/s^2, call it 10 for ease of calculation.  So if your mass is 80kg, you weigh 800N - N for Newton, being the SI unit of force.

Newton's equation of gravitational attraction is F = G*m1*m2/d^2 - the famous inverse square law that states that the force between two masses is proportional to the product of those masses divided by the square of the distance between them.  When one of those masses is the earth, the equation resolves to F=9.8m - unless you're on top of Everest or something when d is increased a bit (by 8000m or so, compared with the the normal value of 6500000 or thereabouts, being my estimate of the radius of the earth in metres) which reduces the figure of 9.8 to about 9.79, so not much difference.

This is all an approximation though.  Einstein realised that gravitational mass and inertial mass were equal, so that an observer cannot tell the difference between being in a gravitational field or an accelerating frame of reference.  From this, the only logical conclusion is that a gravitational 'force' is a consequence of a curvature in 4 dimensional spacetime.  So therefore there is no such thing as weight, only a tiny distortion of the space around you due to your mass which appears as a force.

Hope this helps!

Finally, someone intelligent has weighed in. Thank you for your succinct answer. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Why not just say your mass is 70kg then? Keeps the mass, weight and conversion to (imperial) Slugs easier.

 

Or just fookin Google it instead of asking dumbass questions on here and wasting helpful people's time and effort.

Yes. Because we need all our precious posting time to hurl abuse at each other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, notwell said:

How do you know he's fat?

Cat avatar, total giveaway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what would be the implications to this question if the earth is flat? Asking for a friend...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...