Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
guzzi

The Scripture Union Delivering Sex Education in Schools

When I was a teenager in the 1970's the censorship of the time was backward and ridiculous, so we were more or less 'self-taught'. But I don't think we were any worse off for it and I'm not convinced that sex and relationships can or should be taught anyway, at least beyond basic biology.

The much looked forward to big day when us in the third form were to be told the facts of life in the biology lesson was a great disappointment. I remember the darkened biology lab and a slide projector flashing up some vague diagram of some unrecognisable parts of what was supposed to be two human bodies actually 'doing it'.

The best we could salvage out of the situation was to tell the kids, like us previously, in the form below what amazing things they had to look forward to next year.

Instead of sex education, how about making education sexy? That hits two birds with one stone.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

When I was a teenager in the 1970's the censorship of the time was backward and ridiculous, so we were more or less 'self-taught'. But I don't think we were any worse off for it and I'm not convinced that sex and relationships can or should be taught anyway, at least beyond basic biology.

Same era, same experience. 

If I thought that everyone had happy, joyful sexual relationships, and that kids don't run into all sorts of trouble, I would agree with the 'leave them alone and just let it happen' approach.  But the sad fact is that quite a few kids do get it badly wrong. People who are barely more than children with children of their own, huge issues around consent and coercion, particularly for girls, STIs., confusion about sexual orientation and gender. That's before going on to think about our attitudes and issues about sex as adults., and how things might be better.

As to who should be responsible, it absolutely must not be any faith group. After all, the Bible calls 'spilling one's seed' a sin (as already pointed out) , and Christianity has a central tenet that a virgin became pregnant, no heavy petting, nothing! 

The family? Fine if the kids have great parents, open and unembarressed and prepared to maybe sit with their kids and watch the relevant videos and talk about them openly.  But how many actually do? As Phillip Larkin says, 'They fuck you up, your Mum and Dad'.

Edited by guzzi
  • Like 1

There's at least one Living Hope bod teaching young kids in schools. 

Edited by La Colombe

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Cregeen waffled a bit

The answers certainly didn't do much to inspire confidence! In response to Jason Moorhouse raising the issue of teachers having to deliver sex and relationship classes with little to no training, Cregeen responded:

"I think in some areas students will respond better to staff that they know rather than having somebody coming in and not having the confidence in that person. I think we have to have a balanced area where you have some of the staff that the students know and those from outside with specific knowledge."

As far as avoiding the question goes, this isn't a great effort:

• it makes him sound like he thinks having staff that students respond to well is enough, training and up-to-date facts be damned;
  • it does nothing to address the issue, already hinted at in Moorhouse's question, of why those members of staff aren't receiving training if they're expected to deliver these classes; and
  • it begs the questions of who these people from outside are, who chooses or invites them, what criteria is used to select them, what qualifications they have, and what 'specific knowledge' they have to offer---the last four being of particular interest as far as the Scripture Union is concerned.

Going by the answer given, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the department doesn't really know what kind of standards exist for ensuring the quality of such classes or what the concerns are, or even have full details regarding current provision. In fact, the only precision in the department's contribution to the discussion was when Cregeen rattled off the curriculum at the beginning.  It's a bit disheartening, to say the least, especially when it's not like this topic was launched on him without warning.

As for the Scripture Union's involvement, does anyone know if they're providing compulsory classes or voluntary ones?  In either case, it has that feel about it of a ropey makeshift solution to an issue in lieu of a proper strategy:  some group rolls up on the department's doorstep offering to give classes in an area no one's really spending that much time thinking about and are heartily told to crack on, with whoever's responsible giving themselves a quick pat on the back for another job well done before ticking the appropriate box and forgetting all about it.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 2

So let's see.  A "charity" supported by a corporate loan shark is teaching kids how to handle cash.

At least two religious groups have their finger in the kiddie pie with one teaching "sexuality".

I guess they'll let anyone into the schools these days.

How about we let some of the prisoners go in to teach the kids about crime.  Mainy avoiding getting caught.

Or how about a visit from the Masons to prepare the kids for "business".  they could wear brightly coloured pinnies and roll their trousers up to get in the spirit.

Oh, and we could get an alcohol supplier to go in to give alcopop appreciation sessions.  (with a token gesture drink-aware poster)

And McDonalds could send Ronald the clown to teach cooking.  (Mainly burgers)

At this rate we won't need to hire teachers at all.

8 hours ago, VinnieK said:

As for the Scripture Union's involvement, does anyone know if they're providing compulsory classes or voluntary ones?  In either case, it has that feel about it of a ropey makeshift solution to an issue in lieu of a proper strategy:  some group rolls up on the department's doorstep offering to give classes in an area no one's really spending that much time thinking about and are heartily told to crack on, with whoever's responsible giving themselves a quick pat on the back for another job well done before ticking the appropriate box and forgetting all about it.

From that answer I get the impression that they are compulsory, I suspect Cregeen would have stated so if they weren't.  I do wonder though if parents are entitled to withdraw their children from sex and relationship education as they are in England.  Normally this is used by religious parents to prevent their little darlings' minds being polluted by evil thoughts, but it would be amusing if secular parents decided to reverse the process.

RM ... it is possible for students to choose not to attend functions organised by religious groups  , well in England.

My granddaughter  , to her credit ( at a C of E primary school) in her last year chose to stay in class  doing maths rather than  attending  a "fun day" organised by the local church. 

I was delighted at her decision :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Okay llap/Skeletor, do go on about the "destruction of the family unit"...

Will you also elaborate by what you mean when you say "all other forms of natural association"?  (I bet he means gays are icky...)

I've nothing against gays but there's no doubt the water is being deliberately contaminated to create gay fish and cause a knock on effect on the food chain. The reason there are so many gays nowadays is because the ruling elite don't want western people having kids.  They want third world populations to have all the kids, as those kids and their parents come from cultures where freedom, rule of law, democracy, rights, are non-existent, making them a more controllable population. It's like in Braveheart when King Edward I says "if we can't get them out, we'll breed them out". How do you get rid of these western values? You make sure western people who upheld them stop reproducing. It's a no-brainer. But it's worth repeating that I have nothing against gays. Some of my favourite authors and musicians are jousters.

6 minutes ago, Fuller K Rapp said:

I've nothing against gays but there's no doubt the water is being deliberately contaminated to create gay fish and cause a knock on effect on the food chain. The reason there are so many gays nowadays is because the ruling elite don't want western people having kids.  They want third world populations to have all the kids, as those kids and their parents come from cultures where freedom, rule of law, democracy, rights, are non-existent, making them a more controllable population. It's like in Braveheart when King Edward I says "if we can't get them out, we'll breed them out". How do you get rid of these western values? You make sure western people who upheld them stop reproducing. It's a no-brainer. But it's worth repeating that I have nothing against gays. Some of my favourite authors and musicians are jousters.

Top trolling.

• Like 1

Sorry, I might have worded that a bit wrong. Contaminants in the water turning fish into LGBTs is mainstream news:

BBC NEWS - Tracking sex hormone pollution - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1495908.stm

BBC NEWS - How drugs are entering UK water systems through urine - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29108330

BBC NEWS - NI scientists' hormone pollution solution - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1897419.stm

You think that this isn't having an effect on humans?

Newsnight: That's a great lecture by Seth Davies and worth sticking with for those who haven't watched it yet. He's an excellent speaker and presenter.

I think back to the religion we were taught at school and Sunday school, and they were well meaning bumbling amateurs compared to the highly professional and slick commercial machine that is the God business in the USA. Kids haven't got a chance against that sort of indoctrination. It's scary stuff.