Motor Home Parking

La Colombe

The problem lies in the planning system that continually allows housing estates to be built without adequate residents parking. Rightly or wrongly, the majority of family houses now have at least three cars, works vehicles etc in the household, yet houses are continually built with a parking allocation either on a driveway or car park for two vehicles. This means that the other vehicle(s) ends up on the road and it only takes a few vehicles to clog things up. People then resent larger vehicles which can often take up the equiavalent of two car spaces, as people then look for spaces outside other peoples houses, on pavements and next to junctions, and the whole thing just snowballs. The Island is unfortuanately awash with vehicles and the problem is only going to get worse.      

• Like 3

For nearly £400.00 a year road tax, these are silly restrictions to place on Motorhomes.

It will also be very interesting to see how the stasi handle visiting motorhomes this TT fortnight, and for the rest of the season.

most places in the UK are going out of there way to encourage such visitors for the economic benefits they bring with them, yet more ill thought out legislation from our goon squad !!

56 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

will we see rows of parked motorhomes on any de-restricted roads (getting harder to find by the day) outside towns and villages ?

I asked a policeman about this, and was told the restrictions apply to all roads, so that shouldn't happen.

7 minutes ago, ans said:

Data to support this?

There isn't any.

Hard to see it as "the majority".  Certainly a portion.  My house for example has 3 vehicles.   Perhaps older families then 3 cars is a valid point.   But many estates are made up of two and three bed houses and those tend not to have 3 cars.

I'm not sure modern housing estates are that much different to any other time that building in numbers has been done.  The same problem exists in town and on older estates.  The bottom line is that motor homes are sizeable and if you own one you should have the means to store and/or park it correctly.    It isn't really any different to owning a wagon.   You wouldn't own a skip wagon and park it on a two car drive.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ans said:

Data to support this?

Notwell is wrong of course, there is some data (there's always some data).  According to the Isle of Man in Numbers 2017:

During the 2016/17 financial year, 58,148 cars were registered, 5,760 motorcycles and 2,365 other types of vehicle were registered. The other category includes Goods, Articulated Goods, Buses/Minibuses and agricultural or plant vehicles.

So even if you just concentrate on the cars, given that the 2016 Census found 65,546 people on the Island over 19, that's an average of 0.89 cars per person of 20 or over.  Of course some people will be less likely to have cars (the very elderly, those living in flats in central Douglas), so "the majority of family houses now have at least three cars" looks likely to be true.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Link added for Census data
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Notwell is wrong of course, there is some data (there's always some data).  

How unusual. Irritating facts getting in the way of a not well argument. 

Edited by hboy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Notwell is wrong of course, there is some data (there's always some data).  According to the Isle of Man in Numbers 2017:

So even if you just concentrate on the cars, given that the 2016 Census found 65,546 people on the Island over 19, that's an average of 0.89 cars per person of 20 or over.  Of course some people will be less likely to have cars (the very elderly, those living in flats in central Douglas), so "the majority of family houses now have at least three cars" looks likely to be true.

I'd say the majority of house holds probably average 2 cars.

And of course those car numbers you quote will also include cars held in businesses (including the many registed in car dealerships).

Also, it depends what is defined as a "family house".

I know for certain that in my area it isn't an average of 3 cars per household.  In my road alone i'd be surprised if more than 5 households have 3 cars out of the 45 or so houses.   And behind me it is even less and there are probably 100 houses or so there.

2 minutes ago, notwell said:

I'd say the majority of house holds probably average 2 cars.

That's probably true - there were 35,763 households in 2016, which gives an average of 1.6 cars per household.  But the original quote was about family households, which tends to mean three or more people.  It depends how you define family of course, but there must be a lot of three-car families out there.

Incidentally these figures show just how high the rate of vehicle ownership is on the Island .  They give an average of 795 vehicles per 1000 people.  Looking at Wiki's per capita statistics for this, this puts us in fourth place, behind San Marino, Monaco and (just) the US, though these are figures for 2014 and I would reckon that the higher registration figures then (see the graph in my first link) would put the IOM easily in third.  However both San Marino and Monaco are physically very small and those levels of car ownership look very high (I wouldn't have thought there was space to park all those in Monaco).  You suspect some form of tax dodging is going on.  So it may be that the Island does have the highest genuine level of vehicles to people in the world.

• Like 1