Motor Home Parking

La Colombe

1 hour ago, notwell said:

It's interesting that there are so many cars here in general.   I assume that is a reflection on (a) general wealth (b) public transport being limited to buses in general and (c) no issue with parking in towns for commuting to work.

I don't know to be honest.  The Island isn't particularly that much richer compared to many larger countries and you need to look at equality of wealth as well.  Public transport is actually pretty good compared to most similar places in the UK - people tend to overestimate public transport usage in the UK because they see things in terms of London.  As for the parking situation, I leave everyone who commutes into Douglas to beat you up over that one[1].

It may be a cultural thing associated with small countries for some reason.  The top ten countries not only include Monaco and San Marino, but Luxembourg, Lichtenstein and Malta.  Luxembourg and Lichtenstein aren't particularly densely populated (they're about the same as Germany), though Malta is rammed (with a decent bus service) so there's no real pattern otherwise.  Maybe there's some tax dodging - but living just outside and registering your car inside wouldn't apply to Malta or ourselves for obvious reasons.  It's a bit of a puzzle.

[1]  One interesting statistic from the 2016 Census is that only 48% of those who work in Douglas actually live there (11,959 out of 24,840).  And of course some who live there may commute internally - though they may find the nearest place they can get a park is outside their house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's probably true - there were 35,763 households in 2016, which gives an average of 1.6 cars per household.  But the original quote was about family households, which tends to mean three or more people.  It depends how you define family of course, but there must be a lot of three-car families out there.

Incidentally these figures show just how high the rate of vehicle ownership is on the Island .  They give an average of 795 vehicles per 1000 people.  Looking at Wiki's per capita statistics for this, this puts us in fourth place, behind San Marino, Monaco and (just) the US, though these are figures for 2014 and I would reckon that the higher registration figures then (see the graph in my first link) would put the IOM easily in third.  However both San Marino and Monaco are physically very small and those levels of car ownership look very high (I wouldn't have thought there was space to park all those in Monaco).  You suspect some form of tax dodging is going on.  So it may be that the Island does have the highest genuine level of vehicles to people in the world.

the underground carparks are massive in monaco, all the f1 teams use the during the grand prix......

I wonder how the number of commercial vehicles compares to other places, as we do seem to have a lot of vans on the Island, although this may just be an impression and not actually any different to anywhere else. There seem to be a lot of Transit sized vans.

• Like 1

Instead of penalising them, wouldn't it make more sense to provide a place they can park them with useful facilities like electricity and water, then charge a monthly/yearly berth fee plus the cost of any electricity used.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bigclive said:

Instead of penalising them, wouldn't it make more sense to provide a place they can park them with useful facilities like electricity and water, then charge a monthly/yearly berth fee plus the cost of any electricity used.

it wouldn't make any money....

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

My neighbours park their motorhomes/works vans on their drives and leave their personal cars on the road outside, I would assume most people would do the same, private property is just that.

yes,  but not all houses have drives, especially public sector, and  carparks for flats on the prom tend to have height limits.