Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Buggane

Road Watch

8 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Hot tubs in the middle of the roundabout?

God knows. I didn't really hear what he said (between the hissing) other than it would be radical and involve the police and the DOI. And I'm thinking - "the DOI & radical" holy fuck no! 

20 minutes ago, hboy said:

God knows. I didn't really hear what he said (between the hissing) other than it would be radical and involve the police and the DOI. And I'm thinking - "the DOI & radical" holy fuck no! 

I think the DoI's idea of 'radical' is "Pissing away even more ginormous amounts of public money on things that are even less necessary" .  No doubt the rationale behind this ridiculous scheme is to allow for further housing or retail expansion, even though there's nothing planned and when it is the developers should surely stump up.  But the real motivation is to make make the DoI's managers feel they can do big projects just like the big boys across (only at twice the price) and to channel money to favoured contractors.

.................I reckon discredited MOTs are on the way........loved the recent headline that more tests recording etc are necessary for hgv.s in spite of current hgv tests  because 50% of hgv s are unroadworthy..........how do 'they' know that?........there was the very sad death caused by a road wheel detaching quite a few years ago but I don't re-call any other incident caused by unroadworthy hgvs................I still maintain unannounced, regular spot checks are the way to go with inspection by test centre after repair or instantly if problem is severe.........

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonS said:

Or a TT junction.

That'll be £250 from you then please.

17 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.................I reckon discredited MOTs are on the way........loved the recent headline that more tests recording etc are necessary for hgv.s in spite of current hgv tests  because 50% of hgv s are unroadworthy..........how do 'they' know that?........there was the very sad death caused by a road wheel detaching quite a few years ago but I don't re-call any other incident caused by unroadworthy hgvs................I still maintain unannounced, regular spot checks are the way to go with inspection by test centre after repair or instantly if problem is severe.........

But HGVs already have (the equivalent to) MOTs and have had for some considerable time.  What the Road Traffic Licencing Committee want to do seems to be more of the checks that you suggest, plus operator licencing so persistent offenders can be banned.  From the Chairman's Report:

[The licensing of Heavy Goods Vehicle (“HGV”) Operators] is catered for in the [Road Transport Act 2001] but the Regulations have not yet been agreed or implemented by the DoI. I'm sure many Tynwald Members will recall the tragic death of 13 year old James Berry in December 2005 whilst he was out cycling in Greeba. James was hit by a road wheel which became detached from a moving lorry. It is only luck that has prevented other serious or fatal injuries since then, although accidents are still happening, and the RTLC is very keen for Tynwald to approve new HGV Regulations as soon as possible. I believe that up to 50% of HGVs are not roadworthy at any one time despite having an annual MOT style test – that test shows that the vehicle is only roadworthy on one day in a year and some Operators do very few, if any, safety checks for the rest of the year. It is also very important that IoM registered HGVs are operating in a correct and safe manner when travelling to, from and within the UK. I ask once again that Tynwald treat this matter with some urgency.

Obviously the main reason for the delay is (yet again) the DoI, either from laziness or not wanting to annoy their chums in the construction industry.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yibble said:

That'll be £250 from you then please.

per view.

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

Hot tubs in the middle of the roundabout?

your not allowed to mention that otherwise she has a meltdown online.....

33 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But HGVs already have (the equivalent to) MOTs and have had for some considerable time.  What the Road Traffic Licencing Committee want to do seems to be more of the checks that you suggest, plus operator licencing so persistent offenders can be banned.  From the Chairman's Report:

Obviously the main reason for the delay is (yet again) the DoI, either from laziness or not wanting to annoy their chums in the construction industry.

needs 6 to 12 week inspections like the uk........

3 hours ago, Terminal said:

The lanes onto this new roundabout seem awfully narrow. 

they plan road layouts on a desk using Dinky toys then expect 16-wheelers and 4x4s to squeeze through :(

10 hours ago, WTF said:

big roundabouts are easier for HGV's and there are quite a few in and out of that estate that end.   should make wednesdays easier too.

This roundabout hasn't been designed with any HGV's in mind, otherwise they'd have made the lanes a lot wider, its about the same as Governors bridge so HGV's will need to use both lanes.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Roger Mexico said:

.yes but...........the point I was making is exactly that!...........in spite of ALREADY being tested he still reckons that 50% are unroadworthy...........soooooo, why have even more tests?............... spot checks.oh yes please.............:)

• Like 1