Complaint about bank front page news?

studmuffin

3 hours ago, llap said:

How amusing and totally coincidental that only last week an MHK was calling for the post office to provide banking services. Lol now a week later they slagging off the island's no 1 current account holding bank.

Bump. BUMP. BUMPETY BUMP. The coincidence really does amuse me.

I've had this decline of my debit card happen to me also. It's a nightmare to sort out and as I don't have a credit card it makes it worse. Years ago you could inform IOM bank about your travel plans and where you'd likely to be accessing cash points and no problem. About 8 years or so ago they stopped that sensible arrangement and now if you go abroad and say take money out in Manchester airport and then say Bangkok you immediately can have your card rejected. Have you tried ringing to sort it out !! You can't access your bank as it goes through Jersey I think so while before you could speak to someone in your branch you'd reckonise you that's not possible.It took me 4 days and around £80 to sort it out first time and a lot more the second time . The old way was fine as a note was put on your account nad before they stopped withdrawals they would check. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I've had this decline of my debit card happen to me also. It's a nightmare to sort out and as I don't have a credit card it makes it worse. Years ago you could inform IOM bank about your travel plans and where you'd likely to be accessing cash points and no problem. About 8 years or so ago they stopped that sensible arrangement and now if you go abroad and say take money out in Manchester airport and then say Bangkok you immediately can have your card rejected. Have you tried ringing to sort it out !! You can't access your bank as it goes through Jersey I think so while before you could speak to someone in your branch you'd reckonise you that's not possible.It took me 4 days and around £80 to sort it out first time and a lot more the second time . The old way was fine as a note was put on your account nad before they stopped withdrawals they would check. 

I think some banks still do put notes on about travel plans.  My bank has done it before.

It is probably worth looking at a prepaid currency card these days.  My daughter did a bit of travelling round Europe last summer and she took a prepaid multicurrency card. Really useful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notwell said:

I think some banks still do put notes on about travel plans.  My bank has done it before.

It is probably worth looking at a prepaid currency card these days.  My daughter did a bit of travelling round Europe last summer and she took a prepaid multicurrency card. Really useful.

Yes thanks for that..fortunately or unfortunately depending how you look at it I haven't been able to travel for a few years now but that would have been something I would have got had I. Also cash is still king in the likes of Asia and as cash point fees are now high It makes sense to take it . Yes O know the risks....!! Thanks though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, notwell said:

It might be adequate for a bit of shopping but I suspect not a great deal of use if one needs a substantial amount for a medical emergency.

You'll get sorted quicker if you pay cash rather than go down the "I have travel insurance who will pay you Doctor" .

Just saying

:flowers:

I had this happen to me on a number of occasions, I never learn!

At one point, in Las Vegas, my phone was ringing at about 5am and by the time I got out of bed to answer it they had hung up with no number shown. I went down stairs in the morning and couldn't pay for breakfast with my card. I called Barclays on the number on the back of my card and it was sorted out reasonably quickly. They had at least tried to call me to check that it was me using the card. 

• Like 1

The number on the back of my Isle of Man bank card ,handled of course by RBS , was only for lost or stolen cards and didn't want to know about stopping your card . Apparently the branch had a telephone number on a photostat strip of paper which they had neglected to give to me. I only found that out when I eventually got through ,with call waiting it cost a fortune, and  RBS got my branch on Prospect terrace to ring me and Carol there did and sorted it.. what happens now god knows as the branches are gone 

Edited by Numbnuts

On 18/05/2017 at 11:51 AM, studmuffin said:

Am I missing something?

Customer has complaint against bank and they deem this worthy of front page news - does this merit front page coverage?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=33702&headline=Don't miss this week's Manx Independent&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2017

On 18/05/2017 at 0:23 PM, Tarne said:

Yeah, that Examiner story basically reads "We haven't been doing our job"

the editor has häiled it a great front page:

591fec4ec30fd_frontpage.thumb.jpg.57a83352f830e77fa79fdd8a77aa1b50.jpg

• Like 1