Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Bray Hill

Jacksons

Recommended Posts

Around 28 people have left I'm told, including some new starters from Eurocars, Caledonian, Buchanan and IoM Honda. They need to fill those vacancies before creating new jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see how a total of 28 roles have gone across those operations. How many people do they employ? 

Have those people left of their own accord or been made redundant?

Edited by notwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, notwell said:

Do jobs always have to go when other jobs are created then? 

It's retail in a fixed territory, there won't be people flying in to buy from them. So yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, notwell said:

Do jobs always have to go when other jobs are created then?

Edited by sarahc
Double post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, notwell said:

I can't see how a total of 28 roles have gone across those operations. How many people do they employ? 

Have those people left of their own accord or been made redundant?

Mostly left of their own accord. I did a head count, the number of old staff added to the new who have left that I know of makes the figure accurate.

Those business employed around 65 people between them pre take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are they operating with a third of the staff gone then? Where did they go to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, notwell said:

So are they operating with a third of the staff gone then? Where did they go to?

Either out of the trade or other garages, a few retired. They have recruited quite a few new staff, some new to the motor trade, some from the UK and some from other garages. The net effect is about the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that the newly appointed (early this year) Head of Business has been dispensed with due to the performance of the businesses not being up to expectations. 

Close to 40 people have now gone from the business. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could well be a manx myth but I've heard the following story...

The head marketing guy came over to see why targets were not being met, during the meeting he is reported to have said "With a customer base of 250k you should be selling more cars than you have." and then someone told him we only have £80k people and he looked most surprised. As told by me dad who got told by the man in the VT or Pigeon so it must be true :) 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2017 at 1:18 PM, La Colombe said:

Jamaica.

No, she was made redundant. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thebees said:

This could well be a manx myth but I've heard the following story...

The head marketing guy came over to see why targets were not being met, during the meeting he is reported to have said "With a customer base of 250k you should be selling more cars than you have." and then someone told him we only have £80k people and he looked most surprised. As told by me dad who got told by the man in the VT or Pigeon so it must be true :) 

 

I said from the very outset that they'd been sold a pup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any truth in the rumour the tax payer is to underwrite any rents for the site? I assume HH is building there for Jacksons and others to rent out from HH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, thebees said:

This could well be a manx myth but I've heard the following story...

The head marketing guy came over to see why targets were not being met, during the meeting he is reported to have said "With a customer base of 250k you should be selling more cars than you have." and then someone told him we only have £80k people and he looked most surprised. As told by me dad who got told by the man in the VT or Pigeon so it must be true :) 

 

That story has been doing the rounds yes. 

19 hours ago, finlo said:

I said from the very outset that they'd been sold a pup.

They did it all themselves, they are/were confident that the island's market has/had huge potential and were not prepared to listen to anyone other than their own people, oh and Hartford Homes/Robinson's.

8 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Any truth in the rumour the tax payer is to underwrite any rents for the site? I assume HH is building there for Jacksons and others to rent out from HH.

The site is supposedly solely for occupation by Jackson's. Rent on a £14m site will soon eat up the Business Development Fund if that were the case, should they not be able to meet the costs from profit/turnover.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...