Isle of Man to share its election expertise with Cayman Islands

gettafa

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Another thing which I find amusing (well not to some others), is how trumped up overblown IOM politicians, love these CPA and 'fact finding' junkets or jollies, especially observing elections. I'm sure a weeks nice warm weather, wonderful food and drink, convivial company doesn't come into it. It was only a couple of years ago that The Dear Leader Bell was flying thousands of miles in the desperate and vain hope of trying to get Chinese businesses to relocate to the island. China is hardly that hotbed of democracy and certainly free elections. Still I'm sure that if a Chinese firm wished to set up a presence on the IOM, then any concerns regarding Health and Safety and Human Rights would go straight out of the window. I'm sure Tynpotwald and Lego would be queuing up for an invite to the opening ceremony. Mind you, it's only a scenario, it won't happen. 

A number  of Chinese owned business interests are looking to or have set up on the island. 

Who authorises these trips?

Who decides who should go?

Do the people who go on "fact-finding" trips actually feedback/cascade what they've learned when they returned?

It is not just the financial cost to the taxpayer of these trips that seems unjustifiable, it is also the time away from their "day jobs" i.e. running the country. 

Perhaps they're not indispensable, after all....! :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Let's not forget the as yet un-named six Chinese banks.

Or are we supposed to..? 

Or the 500 new jobs Quayle said were on the way, back in January...? Then again, it may well be that they have arrived and even been filled?

2 hours ago, notwell said:

A number  of Chinese owned business interests are looking to or have set up on the island. 

Where? When? Facts? We were told that these jobs were substantial- more brass plates? I don't believe a word that IOMG, AB, HQ, or any other Government tosspot spouts. Seeing as you claim to know everything, why don't you list the Chinese businesses recently opened - how many real jobs they have produced? How many established as a direct result of the IOMG jolly to China? Back up your claims with solid facts!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Or the 500 new jobs Quayle said were on the way, back in January...? Then again, it may well be that they have arrived and even been filled?

They are all the civil servants required to process farming subsidy claims.

• Like 4

of course they don't.

they are the elected face of a government run by the CS. They come up with some daft ideas and the CS show them why it won't work, tweek it, present it differently, hand it back and it gets forgotten about.  On the odd occasion they come up with a good idea, borrowed from someone else, it gets checked, tweeked, handed back and put into action. The CS cannot do this without an MHK fronting it.

Anything else is a dictatorship, or America, which looks like the same things these days.