Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
vikingdoom

TT price rise

To include the UK Budget that's the 3rd (or 4th?) price increase this year? Across all drink?

*shrugs* If you don't like it, don't buy it. The tourists will though! 

• Like 1

They tend to prove that they are close to bankruptcy every few months. Their pubs are a  hotch potch of desperation in their decor and staffing, they are driving people away in their droves.

I know costs increase but there seems to be something wrong with their business model, which is a shame as they do some good products these days. I guess any business run by accountants is always going to be more concerned with extracting the last ounce out of a shrinking market which they themselves are causing. 

As I have posted on another thread, what can one say? H&B have fantastic PR - I wonder if they share the same PR as DED? If your going to increase prices, increase them April, at the start of the financial year. I am sure they will increase prices again in late August, just before the FOM. Though, whats to say that raw materials/ingredients could increase before July and the Southern 100 meeting, another price increase?

All good for Bushy's of course, but Okell's is more or less a monopoly.

I remember the days when alcohol proces on the Isle of Man were significantly lower than anywhere in UK.

16 minutes ago, gettafa said:

All good for Bushy's of course, but Okell's is more or less a monopoly.

I remember the days when alcohol proces on the Isle of Man were significantly lower than anywhere in UK.

I think that Bushy's may have put their prices up too?

The answer of course is to stop buying their beer. Don't buy anything from Spar stores. What I suspect though is that a few will whine and whinge on here whilst still going to H&B pubs and buying goods from Spar. :rolleyes:

I used to use a Chinese takeaway in a certain town, until they charged me more during TT, and the same price as before just after.  Claimed the price had gone up a few weeks before.  Don't use it now.  Never drink O'kell's - tastes like additive enhanced dish water anyway.

Okells MPA is a fabulous beer. I get the dislike their appalling business approach and ludicrous pricing but their brewing has improved hugely over the last 10 years.

it's just a pity so many pubs are now just yuppy joints or posh nosh houses (or try to think they are but have a limited menu)  :-(

3 hours ago, vikingdoom said:

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/brewery-raises-beer-prices/

That should squeeze a few more quid from the visitors. Well done H&B for jumping on the rip off band wagon.

I can happily drink Bushy's all TT Week. Typical brewery rip off merchants. Funny that the DED chooses to attack Bushy's when the shameless ripping off of visitors is firmly lead by H & Bs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MediaStar said:

I can happily drink Bushy's all TT Week. Typical brewery rip off merchants. Funny that the DED chooses to attack Bushy's when the shameless ripping off of visitors is firmly lead by H & Bs. 

I thought the same when I read the bit about Martin setting up for TT. He goes to a lot of trouble to ensure he keeps his customers. H&B do the opposite.

I really don't understand H&B. They're slowly committing suicide. They're changing their pubs into horrible sheds and paying bottom end wages to staff who mostly couldn't give a rats ass. My local is a free house and if there's spillage or a broken glass its cleared up quick - inside or out. If someone spews outside, the staff are out clearing it away. They care. I went to the British one night and aside from the place looking like the inside of a cowshed decorwise, there was a broken bottle just inside the door that was still there when I left 2 hours later.

In Ramsey, they have two pubs across the road from each other. 1 has had the cowshed makeover while the other has retained its "dirty old pub" feel. In the cowshed is a manager who allegedly got the gig cos he played golf with someone "high up". He's hardly ever there and when he is he's sat at the bar drinking with his cronies. Aside from TT the place is usually bereft of customers.

Across the road you have a young hardworking lady. She's an excellent landlady and has recruited a great team. Punters are going to the "dirty old pub"  because of the overall customer experience which is a result of the obvious effort from the workers. Occasionally, I'll even leave the cowshed and go across the road to get a pint as its quicker to get served, and then take it back to the cowshed.

How can they have two houses so close together and mismanage them so badly. I guess that's why they thought it was a good idea to jack up the prices just before TT. They need some pub users in their management team and not the dreamers they currently have.