• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not 1970 anymore, people do not drink and drive (unless they're really stupid/addicted to alcohol/big fat life victims). To claim that the police 'turn a blind eye' to it is disrespectful to the

Sounds like a right killjoy. The bar staff have no idea who is riding, who is pillion, or who is in the back of a van. Same as any sailing it's not their job to police it. The police often breathelize

It's actually to do with the regulations around having a Designated Official

It's not 1970 anymore, people do not drink and drive (unless they're really stupid/addicted to alcohol/big fat life victims). To claim that the police 'turn a blind eye' to it is disrespectful to the police and the responsible bikers. You have more chance of dying if you fall off a bike, I can't imagine any of the bikers from round our way putting themselves at that risk.

Real cops? How rude! Our police are great & just as good as the police in the UK. What an outrageous thing to say.

• Like 7

I’ve been led to believe that the reason the bar closes on the boats when they get into Manx waters is due to their lackadaisical attitude and consequently losing their Isle of Man alcohol licence.

A few years ago I was coming off the boat and saw a rider getting pulled over and breathalysed as he was coming off the boat so it does happen but anyone who’s seen all the bikes coming off the boat in TT will know that it’s an impossible task to target them all and I suspect that the Police have to have grounds to breathalyse such is information that the driver has been drinking or poor driving.

Wouldn't do it myself as a) I'm not a dick and b) the beer is shite on the boat.

23 minutes ago, 2bees said:

It's not 1970 anymore, people do not drink and drive (unless they're really stupid/addicted to alcohol/big fat life victims). To claim that the police 'turn a blind eye' to it is disrespectful to the police and the responsible bikers. You have more chance of dying if you fall off a bike, I can't imagine any of the bikers from round our way putting themselves at that risk.

Real cops? How rude! Our police are great & just as good as the police in the UK. What an outrageous thing to say.

God you're naive.

I've always had the impression that most bikers aren't big drinkers over the TT, though there will always be exceptions. Many of those who are drinking on the boat will probably either be foot, pillion or car passengers (people forget how many cars come over for TT) or have their bikes being brought over by van. Certainly most of the drink-related arrests seem to be  locals, though there may be an element of "Round up the usual suspects" there.  

There's no doubt though that the DED and co do seem to want to associate a certain sort of daredevil atmosphere with the TT (all those fast cars) which may encourage some to think they can get away with the sort of thing they wouldn't do normally (including the aforementioned locals) or attract those with careless tendencies.  It's rather patronising and insulting to most TT fans to view them as a bunch of overgrown adolescents, but it must affect how some people behave.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I’ve been led to believe that the reason the bar closes on the boats when they get into Manx waters is due to their lackadaisical attitude and consequently losing their Isle of Man alcohol licence.

It's actually to do with the regulations around having a Designated Official

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

You've been led incorrectly. The IOM Licensing Act 1995 imposed a duty of care on licensees. IOMSP had difficulty in finding staff who were willing to accept those duties and decided to stop selling alcohol in Manx waters as an alternative.

• Like 1

How do you know they are not foot passengers, dressed in their leathers to fit in, carrying their provisional licences, and borrowing a Manx registered bike in the morning, when they are sober?

1 minute ago, x-in-man said:

How do you know they are not foot passengers, dressed in their leathers to fit in, carrying their provisional licences, and borrowing a Manx registered bike in the morning, when they are sober?

UK provisional licences aren't valid on the IoM

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

You've been led incorrectly. The IOM Licensing Act 1995 imposed a duty of care on licensees. IOMSP had difficulty in finding staff who were willing to accept those duties and decided to stop selling alcohol in Manx waters as an alternative.

Not really. They used to have a licence. They were criticised in court for an incident when too much drink was consumed on board. They surrendered their licences.

in law they have no duty of care or legal responsibility.

went on  P&O Portsmouth to Bilbao trip years ago. 36 hours. Most of the other passengers were hells angel club members on their way to a rally in Portugal. They drank the boat dry. It was scary on board.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

went on  P&O Portsmouth to Bilbao trip years ago. 36 hours. Most of the other passengers were hells angel club members on their way to a rally in Portugal. They drank the boat dry. It was scary on board.

its even worst when the saga lot are onboard......

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Not really. They used to have a licence. They were criticised in court for an incident when too much drink was consumed on board. They surrendered their licences.

in law they have no duty of care or legal responsibility.

i thought a licensee did have a duty of care  (  or do you just mean the steam packet now?? )    or legal responsibility or something and they are not supposed to serve people who are drunk??   didn't a guy at some  place??   that used to be down near the market hall ( possibly spill the beans building? )   lose his license and get prosecuted because someone drank too much and died because of it??