Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Juan_Learner

Bushy's to lose TT site?

2 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

The food tent at the grandstand was popular this year, There are only a few local food producers here, they will be looking to move the 8 quid pies and pizza in a van down there I'm sure.

Sort of lowers the profile of what the bear tent in that location is all about IMHO.

I probably wont be attending the area for the next 5 years, cheaper pizza and better beer will be available in the town, or I'll just get the bus to The Sidings.

Lets hope another Bushy's tent appears elsewhere for TT. Douglas sites are limited now.

Great place for Yogi to get pissed?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Lets hope another Bushy's tent appears elsewhere for TT. Douglas sites are limited now.

Strings would need to be pulled but:

Summerland site

Lido car park

Castle Mona

War memorial

Villa Gardens

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Summerland site

Lido car park

Castle Mona

War memorial

Villa Gardens

Would the licensing justices grant them a licence within "Douglas?  

Not sure if , on this island , the L A's are the licensing authority , or if it would be granted by central Gov .

2 hours ago, WTF said:

i think he meant in the tent as you mentioned staff at the tent moving, not who gets envelopes.

I'd made two posts. In the second I did mean the Tent Staff, but I thought that was obvious. 

6 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Summerland site

Lido car park

Castle Mona

War memorial

Villa Gardens

And those strings may be easier to pull once Douglas council realises they can make twice the money from licencing out two sites :lol:

That Buster stuff is crazy. You'd think they'd introduced a curfew and seized all private assets the way he's going on.

1 minute ago, bloodycomeover said:

And those strings may be easier to pull once Douglas council realises they can make twice the money from licencing out two sites :lol:

If the new operator has any nous he'll be wanting exclusivity in the borough written into the agreement.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Summerland site

Lido car park

Castle Mona

War memorial

Villa Gardens

How about that Car Park Area opposite the Bus Station? Or even the Bus Station itself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manxb&b said:

One of the focal points for the entertainment at the Bushy's tent was the (ELS)? stage and the live music, I wonder if that will stay at the bottleneck or was the whole thing contracted directly to Bushy's Brewery?

I think that was contracted to Bushy's but that would have been on yearly basis surely. I spoke to Martin about the Lightning Seeds gig and he was saying that opened his eyes to doing similar in that space early in Practice Week. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, woolley said:

If the new operator has any nous he'll be wanting exclusivity in the borough written into the agreement.

If I was Martin I'd be looking at screwing the lot of them and maybe going to Braddan (either Douglas Rugby Club or Glen Lough) and putting buses on. The campsites would get better bookings with a big beer tent and live bands on site as part of the TT camping experience and Bushy's could just ship the others in and out. They have to kick people out at midnight on the prom anyway now and the campers could get to drink all night if they wanted to. What is going on in Douglas anyway now? A shitty fair run by some skanky gypo's and a few not very good pubs. He wants to go for the full on festival feel and approach to whatever he does next as he would draw the crowds in with an authentic TT biker festival concept. They'd love it. The fact is they only gravitated to the Bottle Neck as a site when there were the bike shows etc on the prom that drew people in at night. None of that is on the prom anyway now and hasn't been for years. The only reason for people to go there in the last 10 years has been specifically to go to Bushy's. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

If I was Martin I'd be looking at screwing the lot of them and maybe going to Douglas Rugby Club or Glen Lough and putting buses on. The campsites would get better bookings with a big beer tent and live bands on site as part of the booking and Bushy's could just ship them in and out. They have to kick people out at midnight on the prom anyway now and the campers could get to drink all night if they wanted to. What is going on in Douglas anyway now? A shitty fair run by gypo's and a few not very good pubs. He wants to go for the full on festival feel and approach to whatever he does next as he would draw the crowds in with an authentic TT biker festival concept. They'd love it. The fact is they only gravitated the Bottle Neck as a site when there were the bike shows etc. none of that is on there anyway. The only reason for people to go there in the last 10 years has been to go to Bushy's. 

Yes, good points, except the Douglas Rugby Club suggestion, which presumably comes under Douglas Corpy's area. He should just leave them to it.  

@ SoS: You could have a great idea there. Out of adversity often comes opportunity.

• Like 1

Bands already play at some campsites, St Johns for sure and I think Glenlough. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

If I was Martin I'd be looking at screwing the lot of them and maybe going to Braddan (either Douglas Rugby Club or Glen Lough) and putting buses on. The campsites would get better bookings with a big beer tent and live bands on site as part of the TT camping experience and Bushy's could just ship the others in and out. They have to kick people out at midnight on the prom anyway now and the campers could get to drink all night if they wanted to. What is going on in Douglas anyway now? A shitty fair run by some skanky gypo's and a few not very good pubs. He wants to go for the full on festival feel and approach to whatever he does next as he would draw the crowds in with an authentic TT biker festival concept. They'd love it. The fact is they only gravitated to the Bottle Neck as a site when there were the bike shows etc on the prom that drew people in at night. None of that is on the prom anyway now and hasn't been for years. The only reason for people to go there in the last 10 years has been specifically to go to Bushy's. 

Whilst a good idea in theory, might the police not object to the siting of the tent. Whilst the majority of visitors tend to behave, unfortunately the same cannot be said about the locals. Thereby giving the police a bit of a headache

43 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The fact is they only gravitated to the Bottle Neck as a site when there were the bike shows etc on the prom that drew people in at night. None of that is on the prom anyway now and hasn't been for years. The only reason for people to go there in the last 10 years has been specifically to go to Bushy's. 

Just a correction for posterity. In the 1970s, before Bushy's pub, the bikers gravitated to Greensils Corner and the Rendezvous cafe. I suppose it was still 'cafe racer' days, and most of the bikers still had British bikes (not that that has much to do with it, but it paints the picture).

The only ever trouble at TT, incidentally, was in that area around this time when there was what was described as 'runing battles with the police'.

The Rendez was closed down, and sometime after Bushy's pub opened and became popular with the TT bikers (near to the boat, somewhere to park the bike, not too posh to deter bikers etc.). For quite a few years the entertainment in that area was only spontaneous, and that could be very sporadic, but it was amazing what a crowd reaction a few wheel spins could get. etc. And tits oot for the lads - the place was in uproar.

As far as I remember (I'll have to hunt out my photos and videos) the organised entertainment only happened once the tent was in place.

Anyway, it was all happy days. I am sure that Bushy's tent will emerge successfully somewhere.

Edited by gettafa