TT 2017

woody2

5 minutes ago, notwell said:

Possibly one of your most embarrassing comments to date. Straws. Grasping.  Etc 

You must be tired. I'm amazed you have the will power to post. 

7 hours ago, La Colombe said:

You keep misrepresenting what I'm writing. What I said was all motorsport isn't that dangerous when compared to Manx road racing. Written in response to your comparison that all motorsport is dangerous. Events held on the Snaefell Mountain Course are by far and away the most dangerous of all motorsport. They are pretty much marketed as such. 

There is quite simply no other more dangerous event in the world. Dont be phased by Notty as he can't produce anything to refute that. The stats over 100 years are clear. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaefell_Mountain_Course_fatalities

Edited by JackCarter
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, notwell said:

Yes but it wouldn't calm the anti tt brigade would it?

I really don't know.

If people feel that their tax is being used to encourage riders to come here and then something bad happens to them, they must feel their money has contributed to that sorry event.

25 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

You keep misrepresenting what I'm writing. What I said was all motorsport isn't that dangerous when compared to Manx road racing. Written in response to your comparison that all motorsport is dangerous. Events held on the Snaefell Mountain Course are by far and away the most dangerous of all motorsport. They are pretty much marketed as such. 

I notice you didn't answer my question on how much say the riders should have on the future of the TT? And it would be interesting to see the adverts that market the TT as dangerous? 

I don't understand how I'm misrepresenting what you are writing when I have given you examples of how other forms of motorsport can be dangerous.  It was you that said other motorsport wasn't that dangerous! There is a whole world of motorsport outwith the TT.

Edited by Pale Rider
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

I notice you didn't answer my question on how much say the riders should have on the future of the TT? And it would be interesting to see the adverts that market the TT as dangerous? 

I don't understand how I'm misrepresenting what you are writing when I have given you examples of how other forms of motorsport can be dangerous.  It was you that said other motorsport wasn't that dangerous! There is a whole world of motorsport outwith the TT.

Yes motorsport is dangerous. The TT is undoubtedly at the top of the ranking. Everyone seems to arguing about semantics here. Formula 1 is dangerous, but compared to the TT it's safe. That's all LC was saying. 

My only issue with TT is the tacet encouragement given to visitors to ride like lunatics. Not all of them obviously, but enough. 

• Like 1

With the death of other fun events like the Paris dakar rally then the TT is one of the last bastions of crazy racing. Just try not to take it too seriously and let them go crazy. Whenever anyone around the world has heard of the Isle of Man they usually mention the TT.  Without it we'd just be a Guernsey or even worse a Benbecula or Mull. 

It's hardly the worst thing in the world and gives a bit of character to an otherwise dull island 

6 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

I notice you didn't answer my question on how much say the riders should have on the future of the TT?

I don't have an opinion on that.

7 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

And it would be interesting to see the adverts that market the TT as dangerous? 

Several people have quite rightly picked up on the fact that many of us dislike the government's involvement in the TT.

Let's look at the TT as a road race. Yes - I know it's not really a race! The enthusiasts go on and on about how exciting it is racing on roads, because there are hazards - walls, fences, trees, telegraph poles, etc.

They say that circuit racing is no fun because it does not have these hazards.

Question - is it not possible to build a circuit that has as many hazards as the enthusiasts would like? That would keep them off the roads, and if they wish to charge around a private circuit killing themselves, then so be it.

Of course, I would expect to see the enthusiasts buy the land and build the circuit. That I suspect is the real stumbling block. Road racing is not just 'exciting', it is also cheap. The poor old tax payer has to pick up the bill. The Vision Nine investigation has given us some insight into just how much tax payer's money is thrown at this event. So much for the oft repeated claim that it makes money.

The government should not be promoting the TT, subsidizing the TT, or allowing the use of public roads. For them to do so is utterly immoral.

53 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Yes motorsport is dangerous. The TT is undoubtedly at the top of the ranking. Everyone seems to arguing about semantics here. Formula 1 is dangerous, but compared to the TT it's safe. That's all LC was saying. 

My only issue with TT is the tacet encouragement given to visitors to ride like lunatics. Not all of them obviously, but enough. 

those that ride like lunatics ride like that anyway given the chance,  that is how they are wired,   they probably do a few track days where they can go fast in relative safety on nice smooth tarmac and expect to transfer that experience to the manx roads / TT race track,   stupid springs to mind or maybe ignorant,  but I don't think they are being encouraged to go fast,  the signage and ride safe adverts indicate people should be riding in a suitable manner,  the police have unmarked vehicles and they circulate the course along with marked vehicles presenting a high police presence . there are speed traps in most places that they can be at some point during the fortnight.  one thing I can see that is possible to perceive as tacet  ( silent ) encouragement  is a lack of a national speed limit which is there ( or not )  all year round and doesn't seem to be a great problem outside of TT week.     working where you do you could have some accurate insight,  how many  crashes,  bad or otherwise,  do you think have happened outside of current speed limits and above 70 mph?  though I suppose as we don't have motorways a national limit would 60 not 70?  there are plenty round town where people don't tend to get hurt but there have been a few fatalities,  and there of a few where people are doing near 60 on very bendy roads and have ended up in a hedge, sometimes with the help of intoxicants,  a national speed limit would have no bearing on these accidents, and lets not forget,  some people will speed anyway.  the second thing that might be perceived as encouragement  is a one way mountain section.   there were quite a few head on incidents prior to the one way system because bikes filter/squeeze past other slower traffic,  having it one way has removed that risk.  and all the cones they have put out to narrow the road and create sort of chicanes which have also slowed down some sections on the mountain.   the few sections where there are no cones are pretty much sweeping bends or straights and you'd expect anybody to be able to go fast in a straight line?  so I think enough is done to try and limit incidents,  but some people will always push things and they're usually the people you get to meet,  or the innocent bystanders they roped into their ego trips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

I don't have an opinion on that.

If they had missed out the accidents you would be complaining they were covering things up! As I said before no true road racing fan wants to see competitors get hurt.

Anyway I've posted way more than I've intended on this, I'll leave you all to continue to fight this matter out, and I shall look forward to visiting the island in August for the MGP.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

If they had missed out the accidents you would be complaining they were covering things up!

No I wouldn't, I haven't complained about anything to do with the TT. You said you'd be interested in seeing how the TT was marketed as dangerous and I gave you an example of that. 

2 hours ago, Gee Cee said:

Several people have quite rightly picked up on the fact that many of us dislike the government's involvement in the TT.

Let's look at the TT as a road race. Yes - I know it's not really a race! The enthusiasts go on and on about how exciting it is racing on roads, because there are hazards - walls, fences, trees, telegraph poles, etc.

They say that circuit racing is no fun because it does not have these hazards.

Question - is it not possible to build a circuit that has as many hazards as the enthusiasts would like? That would keep them off the roads, and if they wish to charge around a private circuit killing themselves, then so be it.

Of course, I would expect to see the enthusiasts buy the land and build the circuit. That I suspect is the real stumbling block. Road racing is not just 'exciting', it is also cheap. The poor old tax payer has to pick up the bill. The Vision Nine investigation has given us some insight into just how much tax payer's money is thrown at this event. So much for the oft repeated claim that it makes money.

The government should not be promoting the TT, subsidizing the TT, or allowing the use of public roads. For them to do so is utterly immoral.

That statement is ridiculous. You have extrapolated some imagined statement, then you have used hyperbole to make a silly point.

Gee Cee, it is fortunate for the TT that the anti-TT lobby has a deluded fool like yourself thinking they are spearheading a campaign. Can you see how ridiculous you look?

(Oh, and by the way it is a race. Of course it is. It's like saying skiing isn't racing because they don't all go down the hill en masse.)

• Like 1