Road tax

JOE450

1 hour ago, commish said:

It would be far fairer to replace this tax - whatever it is called - with an increase in the duty on fuel. The more the vehicle is driven, the more fuel you use, therefore the more you pay.

It would, but it is not legally possible right now due to our current Customs agreement with the UK. 

How would a fuel tax compensate for 'special use' vehicles? A family may have a his and a hers cars and a special occasion car, currently they pay tax on all three cars but a fuel tax would not equal the road tax on the 'special'!

So, everyone would have to pay higher fuel tax to compensate the revenue loss (Govt). Fair?

...or people, like myself, who use their car infrequently, I probably spend about 500 quid on fuel a year, 10% tax = £50, road tax =£163, 'you' would have to pay the difference, OK?

Not to mention the effect on consumer prices!

Edited by Kopek

12 hours ago, twinkle said:

have they reduced the rise in duty? ,if so why have I got a renewal for £242 on a 1800 cc car,in the engine capacity/Co2 emissions box it states 169,WTF are these guys on.

That's still the old rates. Vehicles registered after 1st April 2010 are charged on the basis of CO2 emissions which is £242 for emissions between 166-175 .

Vehicles registered before 1st April 2010 are charged on the basis of engine size or CO2 whichever is lower.

Up to 1800 cc is £163 

If your car has been registered after 1st April 2010 then you have been charged the correct tax.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kopek said:

How would a fuel tax compensate for 'special use' vehicles? A family may have a his and a hers cars and a special occasion car, currently they pay tax on all three cars but a fuel tax would not equal the road tax on the 'special'!

So, everyone would have to pay higher fuel tax to compensate the revenue loss (Govt). Fair?

...or people, like myself, who use their car infrequently, I probably spend about 500 quid on fuel a year, 10% tax = £50, road tax =£163, 'you' would have to pay the difference, OK?

Not to mention the effect on consumer prices!

What tosh. For the lucky few who have a special occasion car I'm sure the millions of miles that other 2 or 1 car families have can make up in this pathetic short fall. 

6 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

It would, but it is not legally possible right now due to our current Customs agreement with the UK. 

That makes sense to me. I've always wondered why we just don't do that but I agree it's probably down to the customs agreement. 

This sentence, from link, is so cynical in it's wording, it is actually quite sinister. Very creepy.

’The department is also keen to make sure that whatever system is used, those who pay to use their vehicles can be confident that they are contributing appropriately to the upkeep of the highway network.   '

4 hours ago, mad_manx said:

That's still the old rates. Vehicles registered after 1st April 2010 are charged on the basis of CO2 emissions which is £242 for emissions between 166-175 .

Vehicles registered before 1st April 2010 are charged on the basis of engine size or CO2 whichever is lower.

Up to 1800 cc is £163 

If your car has been registered after 1st April 2010 then you have been charged the correct tax.

thanks for that.

18 hours ago, commish said:

It would be far fairer to replace this tax - whatever it is called - with an increase in the duty on fuel. The more the vehicle is driven, the more fuel you use, therefore the more you pay.

Except that Electric cars are becoming more popular these days, they would pay nowt and the number of these type of cars can only ever increase. In simple terms, it should be if you drive a vehicle, you pay towards the roads upkeep :-)

• Like 2

Well, they don't exactly "pay nowt" - they pay for the electricity.

And what about cyclists? I hope you're not suggesting they should be taxed...

Anyway, shouldn't we be encouraging drivers to be be more environmentally friendly?

15 minutes ago, commish said:

Well, they don't exactly "pay nowt" - they pay for the electricity.

And what about cyclists? I hope you're not suggesting they should be taxed...

Anyway, shouldn't we be encouraging drivers to be be more environmentally friendly?

Did I mention cyclists? so nope!

They save a fortune on not buying fuel so why they not pay towards the upkeep of the roads? Harmers plans are in 4 years time to tax them a whole whopping  20 quid. Hopefully this answers your last point?

In short whatever they pay does not go towards the upkeep of roads that they drive on every day, the more electric cars appear, the bigger the loss to Govt and the bigger the increases to fuelled cars,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by Battling the System!
Forgot summit
  • Like 1

Electric cars are tiny numbers I expect.

A lot of moaning about increases which are small percentages against the overall cost of a car, insurance, petrol, depreciation etc.

Emission based costs are not too bad if you are not driving a big gas guzzler.