Half Mast Flags

Albert Tatlock

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It's far too common these days Albert. Along with 'official silences', the misuse of the word 'hero' and giving Ariana Grande the freedom of the City of Manchester when MILLIONS of Mancunians deserve it more.

The freedom of a city should be a big deal, but Manchester? Please! Like getting the keys to Ronague.

Pretty sure they gave her the freedom of the city because she arranged the charity fund raising event. Would you care to elaborate on why "millions" of mancunians should get it Stu?

Sure Neil - people like my late mother and grandmother who did dangerous work in a armament factory in Trafford Park during the war. Men and women who went to fight in that war, many of whom never came back, millions of ordinary people who fought poverty and tried to bring up a family by working hard every day of their lives just to make ends meet. Firefighters, cops, nurses - people who put their lives into the city, not someone who pops by for a couple of days. I like Ariane Grande as a singer, but to be honoured for doing a gig with a global audience and the enhanced profile that gave her - c'mon!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

Sure Neil - people like my late mother and grandmother who did dangerous work in a armament factory in Trafford Park during the war. Men and women who went to fight in that war, many of whom never came back, millions of ordinary people who fought poverty and tried to bring up a family by working hard every day of their lives just to make ends meet. Firefighters, cops, nurses - people who put their lives into the city, not someone who pops by for a couple of days. I like Ariane Grande as a singer, but to be honoured for doing a gig with a global audience and the enhanced profile that gave her - c'mon!

I think she was genuine and was genuinely appalled by what happened and tried to make a difference in the only way she could. I'm sure if it was 1942 she'd be packing gunpowder into bullets. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It's far too common these days Albert. Along with 'official silences', the misuse of the word 'hero' and giving Ariana Grande the freedom of the City of Manchester when MILLIONS of Mancunians deserve it more.

Freedom to leave, presumably?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tarne said:

The more they use the half mast thing then the more people don't care. It's meant to be respectful but it's lost most of its meaning by overuse. 

Still trying to be provocative to attract attention? Those gestures are a sign that people care at the very least. Unlike some people who don't seem to care at all and think it's all a big laugh taking the mick out of events where mass deaths have occurred. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I too have relatives who did the same thing. My dad served in the Royal Navy during the was as did several uncles. It was their duty and they did it willingly. Ariane on the other hand didn't have to come back but she did. I dislike her music but she went up in my estimation for doing the only thing she could and that was to put on a fantastic concert to be enjoyed by millions.

• Like 1

The megacorp I work for posted messages of support on the intranet and sent emails detailing support for anyone affected after the Manchester and London attacks, and held minutes of silence. But not after the fire. 

Perhaps Ariana Grande concert goers and people drinking in Borough Market are easier for the management to empathise with than tower block dwellers. 

General flag etiquette needs observing all over the place. 

A flag is never flown from the full extent of the pole.  When raised, it is raised to the top and dropped a little.  Any change is signified by a full hoist, then to it's new position.

Half mast is a show of respect, it should be encouraged IMHO, and done properly, or don't bother flying a flag.

• Like 3

I noticed the flags at the airport are at half mast so I listened to Manx Radio to see who'd died and then I thought "How Manx are you?" :) So, who's died?

They had the town hall flags at half mast for mother's funeral (ex-mayoress) which I thought was a lovely gesture.

• Like 1