Road closure CHAOS - cycling content

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the courier. On the radio. Notices by side of roads. People need to open their eyes.

And Cycling Weekly described it (Sunday) as "the best National Championships course in years". 

I thought it was a marvellous event, and my anecdotal evidence is that everyone I know on or near the route knew all about it. If it's any consolation to those concerned about the organisation, t

Posted Images

2 hours ago, manxb&b said:

:P

Clopper, not heard that one before, as I said in another thread MF can be very educational. Clopper can go into my dictionary of 'random names for the female private parts, just between chuff and clunge.

Definitely post of the week. :lol::lol:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, trmpton said:

Woody - that's pretty sad and pathetic even by Mf standards.  You should probably get out more.

He could have posted this instead,

Image result for female cyclists in lycraImage result for female cyclists in lycra

Edited by dilligaf
5 hours ago, The Phat Tog said:

Probably need a female cyclist to confirm this but I suspect it's some sort of protection for the clopper from those spindly saddles and rough roads :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p051y63k

Woman's Hour on R4 - programme on 'vulval health' for lady cyclists.  I don't go searching for this stuff, you understand, just happened to hear the programme when R4 was on as background noise, and took great delight in sharing it with a friend who is planning on cycling the TdF course next year.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p051y63k

Woman's Hour on R4 - programme on 'vulval health' for lady cyclists.  I don't go searching for this stuff, you understand, just happened to hear the programme when R4 was on as background noise, and took great delight in sharing it with a friend who is planning on cycling the TdF course next year.

I take it "clopper" isn't a medical term then dince you elected to ise vulvs instead?

It was a great day yesterday. the weather held and most people affected by the closures appeared to support the event. Some trolling by Manx Radio on the road closure front, they know how to push buttons to get a reaction.

I've concluded that road closures are the Island's unique selling point. If we want to grow tourism ad attract more visitors then it's the ability to close roads for a variety of different events that will do it. It certainly ain't the weather and it ain't the TT which I think is as capacity.

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure that there was an elaborately folded special pull out section in The Courier last week or the week before with all the timetables, routes and road closures in it which I assume that the organisers paid for. Putting it in the weekly free paper is probably the best they can do to let people know of potential disruption.

• Like 2

Poor Communication.

Why on a school day with exams taking place wasn't schools informed of the possibility of difficulties of kids arriving on time to take an exam. These exams are important and it is a stressful period without the thought that they may not arrive on time. Ballaugh to QEII with the roads closed over an hour to get there, total return trip 57 miles. Kids waiting for a bus at 11:00 at Ballaugh to get to an A level exam at 13:00 then told there would be no bus just give a thought to what went through their minds when they found out, 2 years hard work and they cannot get to the exam.  Luckily I got my daughter to the exam with 5 minutes to spare.

I do not have an issue with roads being closed but I think a lot more could have been done in communicating the event especially to schools. I am sure everyone interested in the event was aware, just consider those who have no interest and that probably is the majority of the people living here.  

I suggest that the organisers of this event consider if this is taking place next year during scool term they ensure the kids are given the information without expecting then to pick it up from some sign by the side of the road.

Rant over.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Nkon said:

I suggest that the organisers of this event consider if this is taking place next year during scool term they ensure the kids are given the information without expecting then to pick it up from some sign by the side of the road.

Or the papers, or the radio, or the internet, or their friends.

• Like 1

Re road closure notices in general, the DoI page with a long waffly text about "The b48 Ballavarraghan Road at a point 50 meters from it's junction with the c52...." is absolutely unfathomable to even locals. What they need is a map, with the times of the closure. Usually, the maps can be found on the rally page, but not the government page. So that's something that could be improved.

Re this cycle event; There's been maildrops, radio advertising, and a big pullout in the courier. It's true though, that a lot a lot of people don't listen to local radio, or read the local papers, and then like to moan that they didn't know about what was going on. The road closures for the cycling are of course very different to the TT - basically, you can walk along the pavement and cross the road, so it's a lot easier for people to get to their properties. Maybe some of those details weren't made very clear. Also, yesterday, you could get through from The Hope through Ballacraine, but that wasn't very clear from the maps ( although it did say it in the text).

I went to have a look at the cycling yesterday in St Johns, and it was brilliant - The best riders in Britain, champions, world tour riders, Olympic medalists, right here on the Isle of Man, in the biggest event on the annual British Cycling calendar, for free, on our doorstep. Fantastic.

I believe that direct communication works better than expecting people to find it out for themselves. An email sent to all children and parents an announcement on notice boards at the school etc. etc. Ask the school, "We are holding an event which means the roads will be closed between these times, will this affect anything that is happening at the school during this period?"

My suggestion is that the organisers of the event directly informed the schools. It is just a suggestion that might improve things going forward.

It seems to me that the people supporting / interested in the event are trying to suggest that everyone else should be as vigilant and pay as much attention to adverts in the newspaper, google road closures every day or have friends who are interested in (in this case) cycling events on the island. This morning I drove past a big flashing sign at Ramsey Grammar telling me the road from Kirk Michael would be closed yesterday, shame I did not drive past it on Wednesday.

I welcome all events to the island and yes it is a fantastic boost to the island. Road closures I am used to them as they are very common event around Ballugh TT, Rallying, etc. just this time it was not communicated well in the village. I suggest that the organisers carry out a straw poll after the event to find out if their method of communicating the event worked for the majority of people affected.

You must accept that this matters to me because the consequences of my daughter missing her exam are far more important to me than a bike race. 

• Like 1