Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
La Colombe

Time To Change The Law On Drugs?

Has the Enigma got previous for picking on people and calling them names? 

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Has the Enigma got previous for picking on people and calling them names? 

Er, yes

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

The consultation only received replies from less than 10% of the voting public or less that 5% of the population. Didn’t it ?

I assume 10% of the public, anyone can log on to these consultations. The rest obviously have no views worth expressing or don't care?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Max Power said:
2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

The consultation only received replies from less than 10% of the voting public or less that 5% of the population. Didn’t it ?

I assume 10% of the public, anyone can log on to these consultations. The rest obviously have no views worth expressing or don't care?

Like every kind of "vote", only those who will benefit will usually vote.

If only 100 people responded and said they were in favour , would that be overwhelming ? Even though 84000 people did not respond ?

Edited by dilligaf

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Or don't know that it is on (I didn't and I'm probably better informed than average), or can't find the time, or aren't particularly computer literate, or meant to and never got round to it because the Manx always leave things till the last minute.  Including the Manx media which always tends to do a story when a consultation closes, but not when it opens, so many people find out about it an hour after it closes.  And a lot of people may think 'It's not for them to say" even if they have views, because (say in this case) they're not suffering from a relevant medical condition.  There was also a simultaneous consultation on growing hemp which seems to have confused people.  And there wasn't one about recreational use which seems to have confused even more.

Most consultations only get a handful of responses from those most interested in the topic, into the hundreds is very unusual.  To get 3262 from Manx individuals (plus another 23 from organisations) is an extraordinary response.  It's not unique (abortion reform and the Eastern Area Plan got similar), but it's equivalent to 2.5 million in a UK consultation, which I suspect has never been seen.

• Like 2

They should just get on and legalise for recreational use already. The cross party group of MPs came back from Canada more or less unanimous that it was really only a matter of time.  But they were talking about 10 years, maybe. If a thing is inevitable (and it is) - then not getting on with it is just a silly dance.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pongo said:

They should just get on and legalise for recreational use already. The cross party group of MPs came back from Canada more or less unanimous that it was really only a matter of time.  But they were talking about 10 years, maybe. If a thing is inevitable (and it is) - then not getting on with it is just a silly dance.

Maybe we should ask ourselves what Canada may produce in future, when you take a look at Druid 3X3, you have to wonder. 

Canada seems like a fairly sensible and balanced place.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, pongo said:

Yeah, it's just the people that are suspect.:ph34r:

You know I'm only joking as I've never been there.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

It where all the people not stupid enough to be Americans live. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It where all the people not stupid enough to be Americans live. 

They should print that in their travel brochures 

On 8/14/2019 at 5:51 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Or don't know that it is on (I didn't and I'm probably better informed than average), or can't find the time, or aren't particularly computer literate, or meant to and never got round to it because the Manx always leave things till the last minute.  Including the Manx media which always tends to do a story when a consultation closes, but not when it opens, so many people find out about it an hour after it closes.  And a lot of people may think 'It's not for them to say" even if they have views, because (say in this case) they're not suffering from a relevant medical condition.  There was also a simultaneous consultation on growing hemp which seems to have confused people.  And there wasn't one about recreational use which seems to have confused even more.

Most consultations only get a handful of responses from those most interested in the topic, into the hundreds is very unusual.  To get 3262 from Manx individuals (plus another 23 from organisations) is an extraordinary response.  It's not unique (abortion reform and the Eastern Area Plan got similar), but it's equivalent to 2.5 million in a UK consultation, which I suspect has never been seen.

Well said RM

Over 6,000 signed the petition against the so-called Toilet Tax.

The reply from our elected members was loud and resounding - "Fuck You".

(It was just another way of implementing a desperately needed huge income stream that sounded legit. Many hundreds of government employees have retired since on huge pensions and lump sums but of course that isn't relevant.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Over 6,000 signed the petition against the so-called Toilet Tax.

The reply from our elected members was loud and resounding - "Fuck You".

(It was just another way of implementing a desperately needed huge income stream that sounded legit. Many hundreds of government employees have retired since on huge pensions and lump sums but of course that isn't relevant.)

Trouble is, how many didn't, or couldn't be arsed signing, due to the usual national apathy? 6000 out of 85000 isn't a democratic majority so our great and good feel justified in ignoring it, as they do with many other things.