Rob callister mhk

Nomadic Raptor

2 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

This man Rob Callister is just sad.

How can anyone post such juvenile meanderings as a blog, he obviously has nothing better to do or is so delusional that he thinks he is impressing us all by telling us when he has a sandwich or cup of coffee and this shows how hard he is working. I suspect he has never worked in the private sector and does not know what hard work really is. Are we really to be impressed at his writing up of theses for some tin pot outfit?

No wonder that everyone thinks that the MHK's are a waste of time and space.

What has been achieved by Tynwald since the last election, absolutely nothing except authorising huge amounts on a vanity project,such as the Promenade .

Please do not start me on the MLC's, it took over a year to get Tony Wilde out, whilst he failed to turn up but took a full salary, many of the others are no better.

I really despair at the quality of our parliamentarians.

It is all so sad

As others have posted, if the Callister nonsense is such an affront then do yourself a favour and simply ignore it...difficult though that may be! That said, the remainder of your post is spot-on. Wilde is a shameful, disgusting, excuse for a man and our parliament is an embarrassment - Rodan's globetrotting to show the colonials how to do it is the blackest of black comedy.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

but if the highest is extremely high the middle will be higher

No it isn't.  Not with a median anyway.  The whole point of a median is that it is unaffected by extreme values at either end, unlike a mean or average.

To give an example the median of three numbers: 10, 20 and 30 is 20 (the middle one).  The mean is also 20 (10 + 20 + 30)/3.

But if you replace the 30 with 3000, the median is still 20, but the mean is (10 + 20 +3000)/3 = 1010.

That's why the median wage is often described as the wage of the average person rather than the average wage.  Because if you look at that example as being thousands of earnings, the two people on low earnings are no better off because they have been joined by a millionaire.  But if you look at their average wage their incredibly well off.  The unchanged median gives a truer picture.

• Like 1

Yes, I could ignore it but it fascinates me to see what drivel he posts.It is a poor version of the Archers. (Apologies to Archers fans!)

The point is however, even if one ignores it, is this really the quality of output one really wants from a MHK?

Surely he should have better things to focus on?

I can understand that some of his constituents think that this shows he is looking after their interests and working hard, which I dispute, as  a lot of his time is wasted, even by writing this blog, but an MHK should be involved in far more important points of principle and long term strategy, he is clearly not and it gets boring to be told how tired he is and whether he is mowing his lawn or not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

But you kill your own argument. The median is really low (£28,000 a year) so how hard should it be to get people to work double that to be an MHK? It's better than shoveling fries. Outside of that the private sector is doing ok for people who want to take risks. Nobody in government seems to want to be paid to take risks. 

First of all 28k isn't "really low".

And I'm not killing my own argument because my argument is that the best quality people are on more than MHKs and have no motivation to leave what they do.

No none said it was hard to get MHKs.  It isn't . What's hard is what I said above.

28 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Yes, I could ignore it but it fascinates me to see what drivel he posts.It is a poor version of the Archers. (Apologies to Archers fans!)

The point is however, even if one ignores it, is this really the quality of output one really wants from a MHK?

Surely he should have better things to focus on?

I can understand that some of his constituents think that this shows he is looking after their interests and working hard, which I dispute, as  a lot of his time is wasted, even by writing this blog, but an MHK should be involved in far more important points of principle and long term strategy, he is clearly not and it gets boring to be told how tired he is and whether he is mowing his lawn or not.

Can't argue with any of that.

59 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

do mhk's get private healthcare?

Who needs private healthcare when you have a whole hospital at your beck and call.

You'll not find many Tynwald members waiting months and months for that op..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, notwell said:

Yes but that is meaningless in the context of finding 24 people to run the island at a political level. 

The point being that there are a great number of people who could add real value to running the island but cannot be enticed with a package of only 50k because they get paid a lot more than that already for a lot less hassle.

True Notty. However it is equally possible to employ total tossers on six figure salaries. There are loads of them in the public sector in the UK and not a few in the private sector. Even some on seven figure salaries have no real grasp of what goes on in their organisations. Fred the Shred comes to mind.

The Isle of Man Government is awash with fuckwits on 6 figure salaries.

Long-termers too. And on top of their recent years' monster salaries - what a pension. Bet they never thought they'd see that when they joined at 16.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, notwell said:

First of all 28k isn't "really low".

And I'm not killing my own argument because my argument is that the best quality people are on more than MHKs and have no motivation to leave what they do.

No none said it was hard to get MHKs.  It isn't . What's hard is what I said above.

Whilst I have no doubt that you are now just arguing for the sake or arguing I will answer your question. The median salary in the IOM is £28,000 a year. That is quite low as it includes government jobs in that calculation (and average private sector wages are lower than the public sector wages). 

Roger Mexico explains what a median is better than me above.

So MHKs get double what the IOM median salary is. Therefore you do kill your own argument as it should be easy to get people coming forward to earn twice what they would normally do. You say the best quality people (whoever they are) are on more than an MHK and won't stand at that money as they are not motivated to do so. Well that's their choice but there are fewer of them than there are of the rest of us as the Median shows. I would also suggest that you swap "motivated" for "incentivised" in your argument as that's all you are talking about and I would suggest people who are motivated by the thought of a career politics don't primarily look at the salary. 

Edited by JoeyDeaconsCat

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes and no.  The amount is published but it isn't really expenses.  They get given the flat amount I quoted, irrespective of how much or how little they spend on doing their job and they don't have to provide any breakdown of how they spent it.  The same thing applies to MLCs as well (who don't have any constituents to deal with).  Things such as stationery, postage, computers and so on are supplied separately and there are secretarial services supplied for free at Tynwald if they need to use them.  

The whole thing goes back to when they wanted to give themselves a pay rise without offending people and so did it this way (as if anyone was fooled).  The amount is always upgraded by the same percentage as the rest of the salary, though I don't think it is pensionable.

Just to clarify, you are saying they are automatically given the full "expenses" amount, no questions asked?

Good grief. That has to stop.

• ans locked this topic