Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

What to believe

What are we to believe !!!! Last week Kate Beecroft was on Manx Radio crowing about how the hospital had had a practice day for dealing with a major incident, it had gone well, and now Nobles were equipped to deal if such an incident happened. Yesterday we had a tragic accident where four people were involved, sadly two of the four were declared dead at the scene.   It was then announced by the media that the public should avoid A and E that the waiting time was 6 hours. Now I am by no means trying to detract from the dreadfully sad accident and my heartfelt sympathy goes to those concerned and their families but it does not make sense regarding the announcement made.  People have commented on how dedicated the staff are in A and E and how they are constantly under pressure this should not be so .A and E is probably the most important part of the hospital and it should be given priority it is alright building posh new buildings but the roots of medical care should be catered for first. 

k

• Like 1

4 people died. What sort of cost do you think having a contingency for that eventuality would have? A few people with banged elbows couldn't be dealt with for a few hours. So what. It was a major incident in such a small Island. No harm done. 

Edited by JoeyDeaconsCat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

What are we to believe !!!! Last week Kate Beecroft was on Manx Radio crowing about how the hospital had had a practice day for dealing with a major incident, it had gone well, and now Nobles were equipped to deal if such an incident happened. Yesterday we had a tragic accident where four people were involved, sadly two of the four were declared dead at the scene.   It was then announced by the media that the public should avoid A and E that the waiting time was 6 hours. Now I am by no means trying to detract from the dreadfully sad accident and my heartfelt sympathy goes to those concerned and their families but it does not make sense regarding the announcement made.  People have commented on how dedicated the staff are in A and E and how they are constantly under pressure this should not be so .A and E is probably the most important part of the hospital and it should be given priority it is alright building posh new buildings but the roots of medical care should be catered for first. 

k

I though that a strange announcement too, God help us if we were to have multiple injured.

• Like 1

Disagree, it could have been a major incident, there should be backup and I think it is arrogant to suggest everyone who goes to A and E have minor ailments.

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Disagree, it could have been a major incident, there should be backup and I think it is arrogant to suggest everyone who goes to A and E have minor ailments.

Most people in A & E most days are druggies and losers and people with sprained wrists. They got a few more hours to sober up. It's hard to see what more could have been done when 4 PEOPLE DIED in what seems to be a freak accident. 

Edited by JoeyDeaconsCat

I think you are deluded if you think most people who go to A and E dare druggues and losers, what a sad little person you must be.

Presumably the practice for dealing with a major accident is about seeing how fit they are to cope in those circumstances.  It doesn't mean that the Departments in the hospital won't have their other work affected - the only way they could do that would be to have people sat around waiting to deal with major trauma incidents and nothing else.  And obviously A&E will be one of those Departments most severely hit at such times, given what the 'A'  and 'E' stand for.

Incidentally there was an interesting point in the Vision Nine hearing with the Department CEOs where it was said that one time recently, while having to deal with two (non-TT) accidents, they informed the Clerk of the Course that they would have to ask for a race to be cancelled as they not cope with any more casualties at that time.  As it happened it was stopped because of weather anyway, but it illustrates how a small hospital is inevitably going to have problems with pressure.  Given the number of people who have to wait for more than four hours to be seen in English A&Es on a 'normal' day, I don't think they do too badly.

• Like 6

Just now, hissingsid said:

I think you are deluded if you think most people who go to A and E dare druggues and losers, what a sad little person you must be.

But the fact remains. Nobody was really inconvenienced for more than a few hours as 4 PEOPLE DiED.

• Like 2

I think the announcement was strange, if your leg or wrist is broken, or you have a burst appendix, you can hardly be expected to sit at home until the coast is clear at the hospital. 

They must have meant to avoid A&E if you have a minor issue but I'd hope that people only go there when they are in need of urgent treatment? If not then they need to start sending people to their GP or the chemist.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

They must have meant to avoid A&E if you have a minor issue but I'd hope that people only go there when they are in need of urgent treatment? If not then they need to start sending people to their GP or the chemist.

Yes, because a lot of people hanging around A & E most days are wasters who could have gone to their GP.

Edited by JoeyDeaconsCat
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sarahc said:

Staff getting their leave in between TT and MGP? 

Your most stupid post ever.!!!

• Like 2