More Wasted Cash Pt 2

Neil Down

• Neil Down changed the title to More Wasted Cash Pt 2
26 minutes ago, Tarne said:

I actually pity the person who's work it is to drive that tractor, knowing that every high tide means their work begins a fresh. 

At least he knows he'll never be out of work.

Why on earth it can't be removed and disposed of at the same time escapes me, most of it must just return to the beach on the next tide. It's organic and must surely rot down in disposal?

I bet that if it was removed regularly, the work would be more than halved in respect of just aimlessly pushing it around.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, war baby said:

I do not think clearing away the accumulated rotting seaweed is a waste of money.  The beach smells bad enough without adding a further pong.

You're right of course but the only reason we have to manually clear it in the first place is because of the government wasting money building an artifical bunch of stones that stop the tide naturally bringing the seaweed out. They were warned by experts at the time that this would happen but ignored this. I'd love to see a calculation of how much this stupid decision has cost the taxpayer over the decades. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I first came to the Island a local farmer had the right to collect the seaweed and take it away presumably to spread on his fields thus producing yummy tatties!...I suppose the "Manx crab" did for him???..Can't have a farmer getting free fertiliser and being organic as well...Is that what stopped it? Manx crab?

2 hours ago, war baby said:

I do not think clearing away the accumulated rotting seaweed is a waste of money.  The beach smells bad enough without adding a further pong.

Clearing it away is not a waste of money. Not getting rid of it properly first time and removing same every day is the waste of money. Thought you could have worked that bit out at least :rolleyes:

The theory, as I understand it is that the current method helps the seaweed break down faster and magically disappear. The reality is that about a foot down under the sand there is an enormous organic layer of tiny bits of seaweed and the associated bacteria breaking it down. Hence the smell. They are fucking bonkers to continue with this absolute nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And yet the money is spent for the tractor to keep doing it, every day, every single day. And the people in charge think nothing of it. 

"You can either have sea weed pushed around or horse trams"