Lets Walk and Cycle to Work...Patronising Twaddle

And here goes money on yet another consultation - http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_487275.html

Why is it that Government (and it is not unique to the Isle of Man) feel the need to treat its entire population like 3 year old children who need to be told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it?

As I grow older, I find in increasingly patronising and insulting. I can figure out for myself that smoking is not healthy. I can figure out for myself that eating cream cakes 3 times a week isn't necessarily a good idea. I can figure out for myself that I will possibly prolong my life by taking care of my physical and mental well being. I don't need politicians or civil servants to tell me this.

What I need politicians and civil servants to do is deliver services - properly and efficiently, and stop wasting money on projects that are quite simply little more than penis waving competitions to boost their own egos. Getting the basics right before running ahead of themselves to deliver something "sexy" (but fecking useless) has to be the priority.

If they want me to walk to work and back I will, but it would mean i could only spend about 2 hours a day in work. Now, where's my car keys!

• Like 6
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a lot easier to produce pages of pretentious waffle than to produce efficient public services - like transport.....

It would be great to finish work at 6pm in the winter and cycle up Richmond Hill in the pixxing rain in the dark !  

No I agree with Manx Bean. I dont even understand the IOM anymore. There’s too many wankers telling me what to do to make up for the fact that they can’t actually deliver any of the services I need an

32 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

And here goes money on yet another consultation - http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_487275.html

Why is it that Government (and it is not unique to the Isle of Man) feel the need to treat its entire population like 3 year old children who need to be told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it?

As I grow older, I find in increasingly patronising and insulting. I can figure out for myself that smoking is not healthy. I can figure out for myself that eating cream cakes 3 times a week isn't necessarily a good idea. I can figure out for myself that I will possibly prolong my life by taking care of my physical and mental well being. I don't need politicians or civil servants to tell me this.

What I need politicians and civil servants to do is deliver services - properly and efficiently, and stop wasting money on projects that are quite simply little more than penis waving competitions to boost their own egos. Getting the basics right before running ahead of themselves to deliver something "sexy" (but fecking useless) has to be the priority.

If they want me to walk to work and back I will, but it would mean i could only spend about 2 hours a day in work. Now, where's my car keys!

It's just tiresome patronizing cult like Common Purpose hippy shite pumped out by civil servants who live in some overpaid happy clappy bubble of an alternative universe well away from what goes on in everyone else's real life. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, sarahc said:

These things are always written by people who don't have to do the childcare run. 

You were slightly wrong there Sarah, they are written by people who don't have a clue...

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, asitis said:

It would be great to finish work at 6pm in the winter and cycle up Richmond Hill in the pixxing rain in the dark !

It's just another part of the reality zone they don't get an they don't have to. Don't forget you also have the start of the day; get up much earlier than you need to, leave someone else to sort your kids out because you're going to spend 2 hours longer than you need to just to get to work, dodge the really horrendous traffic that's usually driving far too fast on narrow roads (if you're lucky it isn't totally pissing down as well), then arrive at work soaking with a sweaty ass, then waste 45 mins of your employers time pissing about changing and showering (if you can shower, if not you can stink all day), then sit down and have a coffee 45 minutes after everyone else has started working. No doubt that's absolutely fine in government when nobody cares anyway but it's just a collosal waste of productivity for an employer and a waste of time for employees.

Stupid happy clappy living in fantasy land bollocks. But it keeps people in jobs believing it and pumping it out. They have all these bike grants to give out and someone at the top of IOMG believes there's money to be milked from cycling. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, WTF said:

ironically they don't want you walking to work and being fit .   you won't be paying lots of duty on fuel, fags and booze and you will be claiming your pension for even longer !

Inversely the longer you live the higher they can push the pension age and you pay taxes for longer.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

Why is it that Government (and it is not unique to the Isle of Man) feel the need to treat its entire population like 3 year old children...

Whilst I agree that this is just another nanny state initiative designed to show that Howard Quayle's Flying Circus is doing something, it is indisputable that a worrying percentage of the (adult!) population think, behave and respond exactly like 3 year old children. Try Facebook, Talking Heads or the letters page of IOM Newspapers if you don't believe me.

• Like 1

It's just a case of paying it lip service really.  A bit like environmental issues.  Everyone knows it's a load of bollocks that we can have no real impact on but lip service needs to be paid.   I certainly can't walk to work with drop off and pick ups of kids and that is even before we get to the "could i be arsed" argument.

• Like 1

The interesting part of this Gov statement was the part about the use of cycles contributing to a reduction in pollution by less cars on the roads. Thats a great idea except you are cycling along and being overtaken by the bus/ tatty old builders van with a knackered engine pouring diesel fumes down your lungs while you pump away at the pedels trying to get fit.

They make all these statements but a bit of joined up thinking would help- either they introduce an MOT or at a minimum they introduce a yearly emmissions test, without it you cannot tax your car. That 1 test would get a lot of these pollution monsters off the roads very quickly. 

• Like 2