Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Lets Walk and Cycle to Work...Patronising Twaddle

On 4/30/2018 at 3:38 PM, Donald Trumps said:

Why doesn't government facilitate the opportunity for everyone rather than just the favoured view in the government tier of society?

err...every employer on the Island has the option to participate. In fact the scheme was rolled out for the private sector some time before the public sector 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

err...every employer on the Island has the option to participate. In fact the scheme was rolled out for the private sector some time before the public sector 

Don't be coming on here with your actual facts! Uninformed speculation and moaning only, please :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2017 at 7:52 AM, Manx Bean said:

And here goes money on yet another consultation - http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_487275.html

Why is it that Government (and it is not unique to the Isle of Man) feel the need to treat its entire population like 3 year old children who need to be told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it?

As I grow older, I find in increasingly patronising and insulting. I can figure out for myself that smoking is not healthy. I can figure out for myself that eating cream cakes 3 times a week isn't necessarily a good idea. I can figure out for myself that I will possibly prolong my life by taking care of my physical and mental well being. I don't need politicians or civil servants to tell me this.

What I need politicians and civil servants to do is deliver services - properly and efficiently, and stop wasting money on projects that are quite simply little more than penis waving competitions to boost their own egos. Getting the basics right before running ahead of themselves to deliver something "sexy" (but fecking useless) has to be the priority.

If they want me to walk to work and back I will, but it would mean i could only spend about 2 hours a day in work. Now, where's my car keys!

What exactly is wrong with wanting people to be healthier and keeping traffic down? I cycle to work every day and I sure as hell wish it'd be in crisp and clean IOM air. The place is perfect for it and physical activity is good for you, so god forbid the government suggests something that may have a positive impact on people's lives. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

What exactly is wrong with wanting people to be healthier and keeping traffic down? I cycle to work every day and I sure as hell wish it'd be in crisp and clean IOM air. The place is perfect for it and physical activity is good for you, so god forbid the government suggests something that may have a positive impact on people's lives. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

No I agree with Manx Bean. I dont even understand the IOM anymore. There’s too many wankers telling me what to do to make up for the fact that they can’t actually deliver any of the services I need anymore. Don’t try to get me on a bike in the pissing rain because I’m not doing it because 1. I can’t be arsed and 2. I dont have the time to waste. Just fix the fucking roads you’re paid to maintain and repair so that I can do the things that I want to do. I’m a taxpayer and yet all I seem to get is lectures from a bunch of superannuated twats I pay for telling me how I should be living my life in the easiest way possible for them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

And you will note that my original post was in January, and so the "strategy" has had sod all impact. I agree there is nothing wrong with wanting people to be healthy, nothing at all. I exercise regularly, but don't need to be lectured to in a patronising way by politicians - I mean, just take one look at the physical state of our Chief Minister and Minister of Infrastructure and tell me they've been on a bike recently. Judging by the size of their rapidly expanding waistlines, they'll be in need of mobility scooters before they need a bike.

As Kevmeister says, I want Government here to get the BASICS right before they spend a penny pissing about on half-arsed vanity projects. Cut the bullshit and start delivering the services we as taxpayers are paying for - that is what I am saying.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

how many tax dodging cyclist have received compensation from iomg when they hit a pothole........

1 hour ago, Kevmeister said:

No I agree with Manx Bean. I dont even understand the IOM anymore. There’s too many wankers telling me what to do to make up for the fact that they can’t actually deliver any of the services I need anymore. Don’t try to get me on a bike in the pissing rain because I’m not doing it because 1. I can’t be arsed and 2. I dont have the time to waste. Just fix the fucking roads you’re paid to maintain and repair so that I can do the things that I want to do. I’m a taxpayer and yet all I seem to get is lectures from a bunch of superannuated twats I pay for telling me how I should be living my life in the easiest way possible for them. 

The way I read it is that nobody is telling you what to do. They are purely informing you that there is a scheme available. Stop getting your lardy arse in a lather over nothing...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woody2 said:

how many tax dodging cyclist have received compensation from iomg when they hit a pothole........

Just me I think... :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

And you will note that my original post was in January, and so the "strategy" has had sod all impact. I agree there is nothing wrong with wanting people to be healthy, nothing at all. I exercise regularly, but don't need to be lectured to in a patronising way by politicians - I mean, just take one look at the physical state of our Chief Minister and Minister of Infrastructure and tell me they've been on a bike recently. Judging by the size of their rapidly expanding waistlines, they'll be in need of mobility scooters before they need a bike.

As Kevmeister says, I want Government here to get the BASICS right before they spend a penny pissing about on half-arsed vanity projects. Cut the bullshit and start delivering the services we as taxpayers are paying for - that is what I am saying.

This doesn't cost government anything in fact it still recoups VAT on a purchase by the participant that otherwise would not have been made. As I've said it isn't compulsory and it isn't costing the taxpayer anything by way of grants. As much as some people want there to be something wrong with the scheme...there isn't. Move on, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

This doesn't cost government anything in fact it still recoups VAT on a purchase by the participant that otherwise would not have been made. As I've said it isn't compulsory and it isn't costing the taxpayer anything by way of grants. As much as some people want there to be something wrong with the scheme...there isn't. Move on, nothing to see here.

what about the compensation from iomg when they hit a pothole........

if only cyclists had insurance like other road users......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

So less able people will be discriminated against in the job market as employers risk the risk they'll be able to get into work on time/at all?

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

what about the compensation from iomg when they hit a pothole........

if only cyclists had insurance like other road users......

lots of cyclists do have insurance. Their bikes are to expensive not to

1 hour ago, Thie Veg said:

So less able people will be discriminated against in the job market as employers risk the risk they'll be able to get into work on time/at all?

that comment says more about you than employers...

13 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

lots of cyclists do have insurance. Their bikes are to expensive not to

not one will have insurance to cover the damage they do to 3rd parties......

3 minutes ago, woody2 said:

not one will have insurance to cover the damage they do to 3rd parties......

It's a huge problem that the EU has recognised and is addressing.

• Like 2