Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Merkin

Mayweather vs McGregor

Recommended Posts

What on earth was the ref thinking when McGregor was punching Mayweather from behind :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the amount of hammerfists McGregor was raining down in the clinch was comical, should have been multiple points deducted. 

I'm surprised it went on as long as it did, Mayweather was looking for the big time punch which never landed properly. McGregor was fighting on empty from the fifth round on really, there was no power in his punches and his form got progressively worse. Mayweather looked in complete control for the whole fight, even in the first couple of rounds which he lost on points, he was just figuring him out. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ans said:

Yeah, the amount of hammerfists McGregor was raining down in the clinch was comical, should have been multiple points deducted. 

I'm surprised it went on as long as it did, Mayweather was looking for the big time punch which never landed properly. McGregor was fighting on empty from the fifth round on really, there was no power in his punches and his form got progressively worse. Mayweather looked in complete control for the whole fight, even in the first couple of rounds which he lost on points, he was just figuring him out. 

 

I would like to think that this is the last of these farcical payday boxing matches. Somehow I don't think it will be...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be a boxing fan, 20+ years ago, in the time of Tyson, Frank Bruno, Nigel Benn, Barry McGuigan, Chris Eubank... But it's had its day in my opinion.  Too much of a circus rather than a man-on-man contest.  Too many weight classes, too many 'world titles'.

But, this 'fight' attracted my attention.  Perhaps it did the same for others and will reinvigorate boxing, while bringing MMA to a wider audience.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a re-match of sorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I used to be a boxing fan, 20+ years ago, in the time of Tyson, Frank Bruno, Nigel Benn, Barry McGuigan, Chris Eubank... But it's had its day in my opinion.  Too much of a circus rather than a man-on-man contest.  Too many weight classes, too many 'world titles'.

But, this 'fight' attracted my attention.  Perhaps it did the same for others and will reinvigorate boxing, while bringing MMA to a wider audience.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a re-match of sorts.

If it does it will have feck all to do with "boxing " and everything to do with lining bank accounts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're more likely to see McGregor fighting Malignaggi although not quite the same level of draw. I believe Mayweather when he says he's done now. 

All that aside, the best fight for a long time is happening on 16th September when Golovkin takes on Alvarez. That's going to be a war. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a proper super fight.

There's a lot to admire about McGregor really.  He's a very good MMA fighter and he's made himself a big draw.  

Wrighty - I'd say more people are attending live MMA events than big boxing events these days.  Pride, Bellator and especially UFC are attracting big audiences.  I like you used to really enjoy my boxing but it's not what it was.  Hopefully the Golovkin Alvarez fight will be a cracker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2017 at 10:06 PM, notwell said:

That's a proper super fight.

There's a lot to admire about McGregor really.  He's a very good MMA fighter and he's made himself a big draw.  

Wrighty - I'd say more people are attending live MMA events than big boxing events these days.  Pride, Bellator and especially UFC are attracting big audiences.  I like you used to really enjoy my boxing but it's not what it was.  Hopefully the Golovkin Alvarez fight will be a cracker. 

I watched a couple of the fights before mcgregor v mayweather and tge stadium was empty it only started filling up 20-30 minutes before it started. If I'd paid thousands for a ticket I'd be getting my money worth. Boxing is poor these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't look like he'll be fighting UFC again anytime soon

 

Edited by Mr. Sausages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...