Ramsey pier

BallaDoc

Wasn't aware that "Ramsey" was funding the project in any way.

5 minutes ago, Tarne said:

http://news.sky.com/story/london-garden-bridge-project-scrapped-10988171

This is exactly the kind of thing I want Ramsey to avoid. Don't do it Rhumsaa. (I'm not posting on the facebook post you put because any one that posts a negative to the pier gets lynched by the facebook mafia) 

16 minutes ago, Tarne said:

http://news.sky.com/story/london-garden-bridge-project-scrapped-10988171

This is exactly the kind of thing I want Ramsey to avoid. Don't do it Rhumsaa. (I'm not posting on the facebook post you put because any one that posts a negative to the pier gets lynched by the facebook mafia) 

How does that relate in any way to the Pier?

18 minutes ago, Tarne said:

(I'm not posting on the facebook post you put because any one that posts a negative to the pier gets lynched by the facebook mafia) 

Irony in practice. 

You seem to be pretty confident that the other 'Mafia' won't get you on MF. 

That sort of confidence is hardly unsurprising. 

18 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Ah, for context, Rhumsaa posted on Facebook that he was on the fence about funding it with ratepayers money

OK.

Well the bridge was essentially a vanity project.  So unless it is actually needed from an infrastructure perspective (i.e it created an important addition for traffic and logistics routes in the area) then I can see why the ratepayer (or tax payer) finding £200m might be a challenge.

To me the Pier is a fine part of the Islands heritage and as such should have formed part of the Heritage trail and be looked after accordingly.  I haven't ever been against government funding on the Pier and it's a real shame it never happened 25 years ago.

27 minutes ago, notwell said:

OK.

Well the bridge was essentially a vanity project.  So unless it is actually needed from an infrastructure perspective (i.e it created an important addition for traffic and logistics routes in the area) then I can see why the ratepayer (or tax payer) finding £200m might be a challenge.

To me the Pier is a fine part of the Islands heritage and as such should have formed part of the Heritage trail and be looked after accordingly.  I haven't ever been against government funding on the Pier and it's a real shame it never happened 25 years ago.

The bridge was largely a vanity project, however, so is the pier. It doesn't serve a purpose and won't be used when its fixed.

• Like 4

I think there is a distinction between a new structure being built for vanity purposes and the restoration of an existing structure of historic importance.

You are right, to a degree, that it won't be "used" in the context of berthing ships but the pier itself will be "used".    The idea isn't to restore it and close it.

3 hours ago, notwell said:

I think there is a distinction between a new structure being built for vanity purposes and the restoration of an existing structure of historic importance.

You are right, to a degree, that it won't be "used" in the context of berthing ships but the pier itself will be "used".    The idea isn't to restore it and close it.

Firstly its not of historic importance.  Secondly I wasn't talking about it not being used for berths, I meant that not enough people are going to pay to walk down a freezing cold windy structure. It fell in to disrepair for a reason, not enough people were using it to pay for its upkeep.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jah_pet said:

Firstly its not of historic importance.  Secondly I wasn't talking about it not being used for berths, I meant that not enough people are going to pay to walk down a freezing cold windy structure. It fell in to disrepair for a reason, not enough people were using it to pay for its upkeep.

I'd say that plenty of people were paying for its upkeep i.e. taxpayers.

Unfortunately, a lot of that upkeep wasn't getting done because funds (and resources - lovely stuff, that cedar decking ;) ) were being diverted to elsewhere. Upkeep maintenance on the pier effectively stopped in the mid-to-late 80s.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jah_pet said:

That is certainly an opinion but only time will tell if you are correct, I remember  being told that nobody would go on the Groudle Glen Railway because that "fell into disrepair for a reason".

Just saying

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jah_pet said:

Not true really.

And I doubt enough people pay enough money to fund Cregneesh Village but it's rightly still there. 

And the MER.  And most other heritage type things.

• Like 1