Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tarne

MER tram goes hurtling down the mountain, AGAIN

26 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

...yes, I've got loads of those motors on my electric vehicles but I'm talking about the tobogannng effect of locked wheels on metal rails.........

if they fitted a rack system to whole lot  we wouldn't have that many issues to contend with, except cost of course.

18 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

...yes, I've got loads of those motors on my electric vehicles but I'm talking about the tobogannng effect of locked wheels on metal rails.........

Well if all else fails, throw the anchor out the back of the tram

41 minutes ago, JOE450 said:

Well if all else fails, throw the anchor out the back of the tram

That's a bit of a harsh way to treat even Ian Longworth ----- oh wait, ANCHOR!  

I misread what you wrote!

Still, it seemed to fit!

• Haha 1

Ever since Longworth took over he got rid of all the time served members of staff, who knew what they were doing, and replaced them with cheaper but inexperienced members of staff ! this practice was carried out everywhere MER/BUSES/STEAM RAILWAY.

Hence the fact the whole Department is a shambolic disgrace !! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, mannin1 said:

Ever since Longworth took over he got rid of all the time served members of staff, who knew what they were doing, and replaced them with cheaper but inexperienced members of staff ! this practice was carried out everywhere MER/BUSES/STEAM RAILWAY.

Hence the fact the whole Department is a shambolic disgrace !! 

Give it a rest.

It's a tiny island with a small population with only a fraction of those using public transport. You could get rid of every member of staff and get in a chimpanzee paid 3 oranges a day and it'd still be able to run a dozen bus routes and one line of a steam railway. Don't make it sound more difficult than it is.

51 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

You could get rid of every member of staff and get in a chimpanzee paid 3 oranges a day and it'd still be able to run a dozen bus routes and one line of a steam railway.

We'd end up with this one. 

• Haha 1

Newspaper article on the runaway tram brings most of the facts into the public domain for the first time http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47456

Absolutely appalling. Clear gross negligence in servicing of the vehicles - microswitch failure due to age (and no failsafe), air brake pressure vessels not inspected for over three years FFS - even the pressure vessels in commercial espresso machines (as seen in most cafés etc.) are covered under the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l122.pdf and should be inspected at least annually. Also no risk assessments for the SMR, which are a mandatory H&S requirement.

Can't quite believe what I've just read but if the CEO of DoI still has his job next week then Quayle and Harmer should resign - they cannot seriously allow him or his underlings to remain having recklessly endangered the lives of passengers and brought the department and island into disrepute.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Newspaper article on the runaway tram brings most of the facts into the public domain for the first time http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47456

Absolutely appalling. Clear gross negligence in servicing of the vehicles - microswitch failure due to age (and no failsafe), air brake pressure vessels not inspected for over three years FFS - even the pressure vessels in commercial espresso machines (as seen in most cafés etc.) are covered under the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l122.pdf and should be inspected at least annually. Also no risk assessments for the SMR, which are a mandatory H&S requirement.

Can't quite believe what I've just read but if the CEO of DoI still has his job next week then Quayle and Harmer should resign - they cannot seriously allow him or his underlings to remain having recklessly endangered the lives of passengers and brought the department and island into disrepute.

See Mannin1's comments above - explains why

• Like 3

That’s quite astonishing really.

however, it’s interesting to go back to the start of the thread and reread the comments. All the know it alls, the piss take on the word ‘hurtling’. I’m surprised by some the contributors on here and not of others.  I’d like to see some of these mouths on here sitting on that death trap rattling down a mountain at 44mph and think it’s fine and dandy. 

Longworth will now quietly depart this season once the Cabbage is running, with a nice golden handshake instead of being marched out of his office with a cardboard box of his belongings. The Isle of Man, where you can  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PmJ said:

See Mannin1's comments above - explains why

Dunno what the relevant law is on IoM, but in the UK someone could have a case to answer on charges which if convicted could be punished by life imprisonment https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/misconduct-public-office - rarely used but seemingly potentially applicable in this instance - I really do find it unbelievable that someone has not been charged over this matter.  

17 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

Dunno what the relevant law is on IoM, but in the UK someone could have a case to answer on charges which if convicted could be punished by life imprisonment https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/misconduct-public-office - rarely used but seemingly potentially applicable in this instance - I really do find it unbelievable that someone has not been charged over this matter.  

As an ex enforcing H&S Inspector I couldn't agree more ,other than to say that it should be  'many'  rather than 'someone'.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paswt said:

As an ex enforcing H&S Inspector I couldn't agree more ,other than to say that it should be  'many'  rather than 'someone'.

including the head of h+s for iomg........