We'd end up with this one. 

I think I voted for him !

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, asitis said:

I think I voted for him !

all of Castletown and Arbory did...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure I read somewhere, over a year ago, that fail safe brakes were going to be fitted on the Snaefell trams.... before the start of the 2018 season.

Now we are told that only 2 have been fitted before the start of the 2019 season.

WTF????

• Like 4

3 hours ago, woody2 said:

including the head of h+s for iomg........

Across it was/ is(?) the H&S Inspector who instigates proceedings , initially in his/her own name. 

If an inspector gets it wrong  they are sued in their own name and are indemnified by their employer

It has been known for an inspector to instruct an outside solicitor , if memory serve one Kate Reece (formerly Wallace) took proceedings against "Bow- wow Auto's " while employed by LB Hackney.  Kate , sadly no longer with us, won .

However it would be (IMO) fair to say that the head of the  organisation  should create an atmosphere  to apply the law without fear or favour, failure to do so should result in consequences .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paswt said:

Across it was/ is(?) the H&S Inspector who instigates proceedings , initially in his/her own name. 

If an inspector gets it wrong  they are sued in their own name and are indemnified by their employer

It has been known for an inspector to instruct an outside solicitor , if memory serve one Kate Reece (formerly Wallace) took proceedings against "Bow- wow Auto's " while employed by LB Hackney.  Kate , sadly no longer with us, won .

However it would be (IMO) fair to say that the head of the  organisation  should create an atmosphere  to apply the law without fear or favour, failure to do so should result in consequences .

Although in real life over here paswt, those responsible will be protected from any consequences

• Like 2

Interesting to read that during the incident the tram travelled 1.4km. As opposed to the 200 yards claimed initially.

And the fault with the fell brake and its maintenance extended to other trams. Again, it was claimed that there was no such fault.

Somebody should be reviewing their position.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I'm sure I read somewhere, over a year ago, that fail safe brakes were going to be fitted on the Snaefell trams.... before the start of the 2018 season.

Now we are told that only 2 have been fitted before the start of the 2019 season.

WTF????

Now you've said it, I also recall that. Two trams had fail safe brakes fitted and could start the 2018 season with the other trams to follow and resume service as and when they had the same fitted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

WTF????

No. New operating procedures were put in, rheostatic braking systems overhauled and the fell brake equipment (which should never have been allowed to deteriorate) was refurbished for the 2018 season, with a requirement for fail safe braking to be explored and implemented as soon as possible. That is now being actioned.

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

all of Castletown and Arbory did...

Actually he is a very smart cookie ! and far more highly evolved than most in the house !!!!

So I believe the h&s inspection was done by somebody within the DOI? Is this true? If so surely an independent individual should do it

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gizo said:

That’s quite astonishing really.

however, it’s interesting to go back to the start of the thread and reread the comments. All the know it alls, the piss take on the word ‘hurtling’. I’m surprised by some the contributors on here and not of others.  I’d like to see some of these mouths on here sitting on that death trap rattling down a mountain at 44mph and think it’s fine and dandy.

Well I was one of those who believed that the "hurtling" had been overdone and was prepared to believe the official version of events put out at the time about it being a fairly minor incident over a couple of hundred yards. I now confess to being shocked at the level of negligence and that the distance was 1.4km and a speed of over 44mph was reached. That would be SERIOUSLY scary and does qualify as a hurtle. I am also shocked at the level of what can only be described as concealment of the facts by the government. Perhaps it is naive of me to be shocked.

I stand by the following post though. As I said, I know some of the old hands who spent decades working the trams and just shake their heads at the lack of knowledge on the system now. It's not just managerial, maintenance or H&S knowledge. There is no substitute for experience and diligence at the operational level too.

On 8/31/2017 at 9:06 PM, woolley said:

I don't think it's zero hours contracts per se that are the problem. It is more that a tremendous amount of expertise has been lost in recent years through retirements. The management themselves can't have that hands-on knowledge, let alone the people they bring in on whatever type of contract. I know several of the folk who work on a zero hour basis and they are enthusiastic, support the railways and would certainly report failings. With the best will in the world though, it is no substitute for literally centuries of combined experience that has exited. I know quite a few of those old hands too.

Loss of much experience in a short time is a problem not confined to the railways.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Gizo said:

So I believe the h&s inspection was done by somebody within the DOI? Is this true? If so surely an independent individual should do it

HSWI work within DEFA

The chap that did the investigation is beyond reproach 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

HSWI work within DEFA

The chap that did the investigation is beyond reproach 

If the chap was the Gov enforcing  H&S Inspector and he considers that no enforcement action should taken , then I would venture to suggest ,(on  the evidence presented here )your assertion, with respect , is perhaps at best, an  'interesting hypothesis'. 

:flowers:

Posted (edited)

Some interesting comments on IOM Today online. It's thanks to the paper that this came out at all. Yet another cover-up that we'd never have heard about only a few years ago, and Longworth's initial 'account' of a minor power failure would have stood as the written truth. Let's put it another way: A lie would have covered it.

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Interesting to read that during the incident the tram travelled 1.4km. As opposed to the 200 yards claimed initially.

And the fault with the fell brake and its maintenance extended to other trams. Again, it was claimed that there was no such fault.

Somebody should be reviewing their position.

if I could tell the state of the Fell brake from a picture in the paper,( see a previous post), then what the hell were they thinking about??

• Like 1