Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
TheTeapot

Police vs Castletown Festival

Recommended Posts

If Tony Brown is weighing in with commentary disputing the police position then that almost certainly guarantees that the police version of events is correct.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a matter of course, the police have the AG's and most of Athol Street, to say nothing of the Deemsters on their side. Not that they would have to call in favours and what have you for such a relatively piddlin' matter as this. But just sayin' like.

Edited by gettafa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The police statement seems sensible and fair enough.

Wouldn't surprise me if too many of the people involved in running it are simply too caught up in this sense of entitlement to do what they want when they want rather than work with the police.

Perhaps they'll see sense next year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, notwell said:

The police statement seems sensible and fair enough.

Wouldn't surprise me if too many of the people involved in running it are simply too caught up in this sense of entitlement to do what they want when they want rather than work with the police.

Perhaps they'll see sense next year.

I thought the same. Little men in big shoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So those who serve alcohol to already inebriated individuals get off Scot free, whether a music licence has been granted or not?

This is an arse about backwards decision by the constabulary.

And yes I know...... coz I was there a couple or three years ago. The same as when Douglas carnival took place.

Double standards all round.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

So, if the organising committee had been granted a music licence would that guarantee there'd be no drunks and underage drinkers causing problems (that's assuming the organisers weren't selling alcohol directly to the festival goers)? I don't see how a music licence would make that much of a difference.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...... it's the establishments that sell the alcohol that should be taken to task, both off and on-licence premises. The threat of a licence withdrawal would sharpen a few minds. But it's obvious that the kerching of the cash till is more important than abiding by the law, especially when you can get away with it.

You see reports of court cases involving people arrested for being drunk and arrested after fighting or causing trouble, he was drinking in a named pub where he had a huge lot of booze, this comes out in court but no sanction against the pub. More interested in the cash, time to fine the pub for serving him 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

As a matter of course, the police have the AG's and most of Athol Street, to say nothing of the Deemsters on their side. Not that they would have to call in favours and what have you for such a relatively piddlin' matter as this. But just sayin' like.

And there you have the reason that the previous AG was twice unsuccessfully prosecuted on a triviality, he was not playing the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

I thought the same. Little men in big shoes.

It's hard to see how having a license for late music would miraculously stop people attending a carnival from getting drunk? The police statement is utter nonsense in this context. It won't make any difference if they have a license or they don't really will it? Instead of watching music outdoors people who came into town to see a carnival will just go to the pub after 6pm instead. They'll get just as pissed (if they were going to get pissed anyway) as they would if they were outside watching a band. Same with underage kids. They'll just see the carnival and then go to the Co-op to buy some cider and then go down the beach or somewhere else. It's total bollocks. People aren't just going to go home at 6pm and go to bed. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's hard to see how having a license for late music would miraculously stop people attending a carnival from getting drunk? The police statement is utter nonsense in this context. It won't make any difference if they have a license or they don't really will it? Instead of watching music outdoors people who came into town to see a carnival will just go to the pub after 6pm instead. They'll get just as pissed (if they were going to get pissed anyway) as they would if they were outside watching a band. Same with underage kids. They'll just see the carnival and then go to the Co-op to buy some cider and then go down the beach or somewhere else. It's total bollocks. People aren't just going to go home at 6pm and go to bed. 

Presumably, if they applied for and received a music license this year, then there was trouble, the police could object to the license being granted next year, thus legally & easily bringing the evening entertainment to an end?

Not saying that was the intention, simply offering an answer to the question. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's hard to see how having a license for late music would miraculously stop people attending a carnival from getting drunk? The police statement is utter nonsense in this context. It won't make any difference if they have a license or they don't really will it? Instead of watching music outdoors people who came into town to see a carnival will just go to the pub after 6pm instead. They'll get just as pissed (if they were going to get pissed anyway) as they would if they were outside watching a band. Same with underage kids. They'll just see the carnival and then go to the Co-op to buy some cider and then go down the beach or somewhere else. It's total bollocks. People aren't just going to go home at 6pm and go to bed. 

It is not having the licence per se. It is the controls and procedures that are required to be in place and agreed with the licensing authority before an event can take place. The other carnivals seem to manage to comply.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cascarino said:

It is not having the licence per se. It is the controls and procedures that are required to be in place and agreed with the licensing authority before an event can take place. The other carnivals seem to manage to comply.

Correct.

It is taking ownership of the situation, something the carnival committee and Castletown Comms didn't want. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notwell said:

So what happened on the day then?

A whole load of coppers got pissed in Castletown Square.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Cascarino said:

It is not having the licence per se. It is the controls and procedures that are required to be in place and agreed with the licensing authority before an event can take place. The other carnivals seem to manage to comply.

It still won't change any of the potential outcomes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, notwell said:

So what happened on the day then?

The fat lady sang. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...