Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Police apologise for calls delay

Manx Radio News

I had reason to call the police at the end of this week and gave up. I have needed to call the police station on a dozen or so occasions this past few years and always wait longer than I expected. 999 is a different matter of course but that 631212 number for the police station has always been horrendous and I wonder is it somehow deliberate to stop people using it too much: " make 'em wait, if they really need us they'll hang on, if not they'll give up" sort of thing. As I said I gave up this week and although not an emergency I will have to contact the police at some stage.

That said, it is easier than contacting an MHK, the majority of whom seem to use answering machines, and you really are lucky if they call you back (that was most of last administration, not sure about the new kids on the block these days)

• Like 1

Its so they can plead poverty at the next budget meeting. 'We cant even afford to man the phones properly, give us more money'. Anyway, with their shit behaviour in Castletown I say fuck them. Pathetic twats.

• Like 1

Too busy pissing about on Twitter and Facebook to be answering phone calls.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Its so they can plead poverty at the next budget meeting. 'We cant even afford to man the phones properly, give us more money'. Anyway, with their shit behaviour in Castletown I say fuck them. Pathetic twats.

I mean, or it's just they aren't answered the phones because they're doing out doing something else - like was said, there's an answer phone, and if it was urgent that's what 999 is for. 

It's not on, the police station having such delays.

Incidentally, about the best is the Isle of Man Government switchboard - always fast, efficient and helpful. It might be a different matter once they transfer you but I can't fault the initial switchboard.

• Like 1

there used to be 3 people in reception at headquarters years ago IIRC with one of them being a uniformed officer,  now there is often just one and if they are dealing with someone at the counter or at the toilet then the phone won't get answered, and is usually a civy and not an officer.  also  if you ring another station and they don't pick up it gets diverted to the 631212 number in douglas.  i have rang peel and ramsey before now to find myself talking to reception at glencrutchery road.

Edited by WTF

Here's a thought, instead of the twonk who has spent their time deciding the police have been wrong in allowing the Castletown Festival to go ahead for the last 60 years, and that the day before is the best time to tell them they need a licence, being left with nothing better to do with their time, stick them on the desk answering phones, where they may be of some value to society?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WTF said:

there used to be 3 people in reception at headquarters years ago IIRC with one of them being a uniformed officer,  now there is often just one and if they are dealing with someone at the counter or at the toilet then the phone won't get answered, and is usually a civy and not an officer.  also  if you ring another station and they don't pick up it gets diverted to the 631212 number in douglas.  i have rang peel and ramsey before now to find myself talking to reception at glencrutchery road.

I may well be wrong of course but get the feeling sometimes that it is done deliberately to try and accentuate that they need more staff, or the one there has decided they are working quite hard enough thank you and will answer the phone in their own sweet time (I think most folk who work in offices have come across that sort). But as I say, I'm happy to accept that it is a very very busy job, perhaps too much for one, but not enough for two.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I may well be wrong of course but get the feeling sometimes that it is done deliberately to try and accentuate that they need more staff, or the one there has decided they are working quite hard enough thank you and will answer the phone in their own sweet time (I think most folk who work in offices have come across that sort). But as I say, I'm happy to accept that it is a very very busy job, perhaps too much for one, but not enough for two.

Correct.

Please feel free to suggest why it can (consistently) take so long to answer a call.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

Why are you worried? Even if you get through they will do eff all about your complaint/problem

I have nothing again it being centralised in Douglas with calls going through there to be honest, though I wonder if having the social media links have cut down on otherwise pointless phone calls

Edited by Tarne

Posted Twice. Stupid Tarne

Edited by Tarne