Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Hedgehog

Premier Inn

A friend was the QS for Mytons when they built Victory House and he said at the time it was a nightmare as it was sand below before they put concrete piles in. So there will be some issues for sure building on a beach 

You know exactly what you're getting with Premier Inn, which couldn't be said for the majority of the hotels/B&B's on the promenade who any new tourist would be taking pot luck if they booked a room with. Some people just like what they know and if it strengthens the accommodation stock then it can only be a good thing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

You know exactly what you're getting with Premier Inn, which couldn't be said for the majority of the hotels/B&B's on the promenade who any new tourist would be taking pot luck if they booked a room with. Some people just like what they know and if it strengthens the accommodation stock then it can only be a good thing.

There is trip advisor. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Declan said:

There is trip advisor. 

Which is my point. A quick scroll through the reviews on there confirms the fact our current offering is very much hit and miss. With the emphasis on the latter.

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Seems we're not the only Island suffering from falling visitor numbers.

Worrying. If Jersey are struggling to attract visitors with the benefit of their climate and facilities, it doesn't auger well for us?

To be fair I always thought we had more in our locker to counter the lack of tourism than Jersey. Sure they have better weather during the summer but just across the water also has similar weather and everything Jersey has too, without the airfare.

We've got a captive market of millions just across the water in areas that are fast degenerating into shitholes, for want of a better phrase. Plus we have space and lots of it. You only really get an appreciation of the island when you leave it and come back.

I just hope we don't try and make it any more like a UK-lite than we already are and try to maintain it's uniqueness, which I imagine will become quite attractive in years to come.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

To be fair I always thought we had more in our locker to counter the lack of tourism than Jersey. Sure they have better weather during the summer but just across the water also has similar weather and everything Jersey has too, without the airfare.

We've got a captive market of millions just across the water in areas that are fast degenerating into shitholes, for want of a better phrase. Plus we have space and lots of it. You only really get an appreciation of the island when you leave it and come back.

I just hope we don't try and make it any more like a UK-lite than we already are and try to maintain it's uniqueness, which I imagine will become quite attractive in years to come.

Captive? A week in Spain costs the same as the IOM (assuming you fly). Lots of space in Spain. Lots of it.

And as quilp says, what uniqueness?

1 minute ago, GD4ELI said:

Captive? A week in Spain costs the same as the IOM (assuming you fly). Lots of space in Spain. Lots of it.

And as quilp says, what uniqueness?

I know it might surprise you but a lot of people don't care for an airport experience and a hot climate. My parents love coming over here, reminds them of how the UK was decades ago. They don't really do much when they're here like, just potter around and appreciate the place, but I imagine there are plenty of people of a certain disposition who feel the same. I know more people are moving over here from the UK for just those reasons.

Granted there could be more for people to do and there is evidence of things happening around Castletown or Ramsay. Anywhere but Douglas seems to be getting a makeover it seems.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Seems we're not the only Island suffering from falling visitor numbers.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Worrying. If Jersey are struggling to attract visitors with the benefit of their climate and facilities, it doesn't auger well for us?

Jersey has been suffering similar tourism decline to us for at least three decades, albeit falling from a much higher base. If you follow the news and comments there, you could easily believe you were reading about the IOM. Cost of travel, down at heel accommodation, not enough to do, etc, etc. The demographic of visitors is similar too, being mainly the older end. The problem with old customers is that they die and it seems that the young are not inclined to replace them, or at least not in sufficient numbers. Whether this is down to changing interests, lack of the financial means to travel, downright apathetic sloth, or a combination of all three is difficult to say. A proportion at least seem content to sit at home living life vicariously through their "device".

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

We do have more to offer

It's just not presented well to the potential market

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Traditional hotel based holidays are just going out of fashion, with alternatives like AirB&B doing magnificently well

The island needs quality alternative accommodation, affordable to families particularly

I'd really like to see MNH open up bits of Castle Rushen for self-catering and dorm type accomm for schools

• Like 1