Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Hedgehog

Premier Inn

23 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

And you’re lucky if your car is still there. 

It’s not Manchester for cripes sake...

It seems a very strange place to build a hotel unless they got the land dirt cheap, why did they not choose the Summerland site ? there is plenty of room there for a hotel and car park and if they had a decent restaurant in it I am sure the locals would have used it.   Very strange.....no doubt back Strand Street will be bunged up with cabs now picking people up or dropping them off.    There is obviously a very valid reason for choosing this site but I cannot think of it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It seems a very strange place to build a hotel unless they got the land dirt cheap, why did they not choose the Summerland site ? there is plenty of room there for a hotel and car park and if they had a decent restaurant in it I am sure the locals would have used it.   Very strange.....no doubt back Strand Street will be bunged up with cabs now picking people up or dropping them off.    There is obviously a very valid reason for choosing this site but I cannot think of it.

The Isle of Man already has more hotels than it presently needs, & the Quayle regime encouraging the building of more only damages the existing ones further

IOM Government is essentially anti local business

53 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

the cliff needs fixing (or might not) at a unknown cost.....

Summerland is also the wrong end of town. 

Ok perhaps not a good idea...but there must have been a better alternative, surely any new build parking should be catered for before planning is granted.

Any premier inn I've stayed in in the UK have been down back streets and in places you generally wouldnt expect a hotel.

• Like 1

Is parking that big a deal for a town centre Premier Inn on an Island?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

The Isle of Man already has more hotels than it presently needs, & the Quayle regime encouraging the building of more only damages the existing ones further

IOM Government is essentially anti local business

The good ones will always survive. The rest need to upgrade or close. People deserve decent hotels for the prices we pay, not run down B&Bs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, war baby said:

The Summerland end stinks in summer and regularly floods in winter.

I don't think it floods regularly. It may suffer slightly as does the rest of the prom when the tides are higher than usual

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

the cliff needs fixing (or might not) at a unknown cost.....

wasn't this a "problem" when they nearly sold the site a few years ago?

It's still a problem. There is an enormous chunk of concrete half embedded in the cliff that no one knows how to deal with.