Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Hedgehog

Premier Inn

33 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The good ones will always survive. The rest need to upgrade or close. People deserve decent hotels for the prices we pay, not run down B&Bs

Hotels on the Isle of Man have to be cheaper than UK equivalents because of the high cost of travel here, & therefore receive a lower economic return

Better for local operators if IOMG offered upgrade assistance that is both significant in size but not massively bureaucratic

Successful, authentic tourism infrastructure needs a supportive, investing government

Moonhowlers hate that tho'

(Especially the ones in government)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

wasn't this a "problem" when they nearly sold the site a few years ago?

they don't know........

15 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Hotels on the Isle of Man have to be cheaper than UK equivalents because of the high cost of travel here, & therefore receive a lower economic return

Better for local operators if IOMG offered upgrade assistance that is both significant in size but not massively bureaucratic

Successful, authentic tourism infrastructure needs a supportive, investing government

that scheme was/is already running and has been for years......

At less than generous levels, & with massive bureaucracy

I believe when Mr Le Page retired as Director of Tourism nobody had EVER applied for it

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

At less than generous levels, & with massive bureaucracy

I believe when Mr Le Page retired as Director of Tourism nobody had EVER applied for it

the sefton did multiple times.........up to £10k per room rings a bell.........

• Thanks 1

The site belongs to the landowner/developer, which, as far as I’m aware isn’t Premier Inn. So they didn’t “get it cheap”.

It’ll be being operated either as a booking franchise or on a lease. I think I read it had been pre leased, under an agreement to lease, before any planning or building started.

There is ( very limited ) parking on site. M&S if you don’t need your car out of hours. Or Shaws Brow.

Many guests will be business people flying in for a night or two. Will taxis be a problem? It’s not large. Very few will arrive off same boat/flight, or be departing at the same time. 

Weekends, presumably, it’ll suit locals who want to have a night out. Almost cheaper than a taxi home. It’s a The right place in Douglas for that, as will be the Travelodge on the bus station site.

As for prices, I just tried two, random,  August weekday nights. £44.50 per night pre paid, non cancellable or refundable, or £59.50 fully cancellable up to 14.00 day of arrival. Much cheaper than Comis, Sefton, Palace.

As for Tourism grants, why? 

Successful businesses shouldn’t need grants and soft interest loans. They get generous capital allowances (write downs) and 0% tax already. 

Previous governments did give grants and loans, for decades, to rehabilitate c19 boarding houses, with single glazing, small rooms, no heating, no en-suites. Results generally poor. They also refused change of use. Condemning us to old, worn out, infrastructure, too many rooms chasing too few tourists, downward spiral in returns, leading many to closure and dereliction.

And yes, there were a ( very ) few new build.

We are just recovering.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, emesde said:

You can get prices and availability from their Web site for August onwards

I tried various dates in July and a message says fully booked not available. That probably means they aren't opening until August. 

Suspect they’ll do a soft opening from 8/7. 

58 minutes ago, woody2 said:

the sefton did multiple times.........up to £10k per room rings a bell.........

Be interested to see that grant application

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The site belongs to the landowner/developer, which, as far as I’m aware isn’t Premier Inn. So they didn’t “get it cheap”.

It’ll be being operated either as a booking franchise or on a lease. I think I read it had been pre leased, under an agreement to lease, before any planning or building started.

There is ( very limited ) parking on site. M&S if you don’t need your car out of hours. Or Shaws Brow.

Many guests will be business people flying in for a night or two. Will taxis be a problem? It’s not large. Very few will arrive off same boat/flight, or be departing at the same time. 

Weekends, presumably, it’ll suit locals who want to have a night out. Almost cheaper than a taxi home. It’s a The right place in Douglas for that, as will be the Travelodge on the bus station site.

As for prices, I just tried two, random,  August weekday nights. £44.50 per night pre paid, non cancellable or refundable, or £59.50 fully cancellable up to 14.00 day of arrival. Much cheaper than Comis, Sefton, Palace.

As for Tourism grants, why? 

Successful businesses shouldn’t need grants and soft interest loans. They get generous capital allowances (write downs) and 0% tax already. 

Previous governments did give grants and loans, for decades, to rehabilitate c19 boarding houses, with single glazing, small rooms, no heating, no en-suites. Results generally poor. They also refused change of use. Condemning us to old, worn out, infrastructure, too many rooms chasing too few tourists, downward spiral in returns, leading many to closure and dereliction.

And yes, there were a ( very ) few new build.

We are just recovering.

Premier inn recommends the Shaws Brow car park.

I have always wondered why the M&S car park does not have an overnight parking option. AFAIK its not operated by M&S and therefore why does it close an hour after the store closes ? 

29 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Premier inn recommends the Shaws Brow car park.

I have always wondered why the M&S car park does not have an overnight parking option. AFAIK its not operated by M&S and therefore why does it close an hour after the store closes ? 

It’s run by DC so why it can’t remain open is one of life’s mysteries.

• Like 1

M&S don't have and never have had a carpark.

It is Drumgold Street car park, nothing whatsoever to do with Marksies.

It's like those who said Safeways carpark. 

8 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It’s run by DC so why it can’t remain open is one of life’s mysteries.

Maybe the boy racers killed that idea off.

13 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Be interested to see that grant application

starship enterprise should have the details......

22 hours ago, dilligaf said:

M&S don't have and never have had a carpark.

It is Drumgold Street car park, nothing whatsoever to do with Marksies.

It's like those who said Safeways carpark. 

Yes. I know that but why does it close an hour after the store closes? Does M&S have any say in this even though it is run by DC? 

On 4/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, Donald Trumps said:

Surely VAT on hotel  accommodation in UK hotels is charged at 20%  whereas its charged at 5% here,which should make our room rates  cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1