Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Hedgehog

Premier Inn

19 minutes ago, emesde said:

Surely VAT on hotel  accommodation in UK hotels is charged at 20%  whereas its charged at 5% here,which should make our room rates  cheaper.

Yes. Or more profit

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, emesde said:

Surely VAT on hotel  accommodation in UK hotels is charged at 20%  whereas its charged at 5% here,which should make our room rates  cheaper.

The 5% VAT rate is there to give hoteliers a bit of return

Our room rates are already cheaper because of high travel prices and - nowadays - lower demand

Building new hotels just kills off existing ones rather than expanding the market

IOMG and DfE are a menace to the Manx hospitality industry

(& a lot else)

28 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Our room rates are already cheaper because of high travel prices and - nowadays - lower demand

Building new hotels just kills off existing ones rather than expanding the market

(& a lot else)

Is this not progress? That new(ish) hotel in Ramsey for example, seems to be a success. Are you arguing it shouldn't have been built? Seems pretty daft to me. Most of the old hotels on the island were built when en-suite wasn't even a thing, and sure they've been adopted but purpose built new hotels appeal to people these days, clean, white, big beds etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

(& a lot else)

The IOM hotel trade, like that of Blackpool, Morecambe, and many others ripped the visitor off for decades, year upon year upon year.

Even when flights to Spain became doable, they still put prices up year in year out. The trade died because of it and yet hoteliers still want spoon fed.

They committed commercial suicide. 

Please don't try to tell me otherwise. I lived through it.

We have some great hotels today and they are doing well. Give the visitor what he wants at a price he can afford.

Well done to the one in Ramsey and good luck to Premier Inn.  

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

The IOM hotel trade, like that of Blackpool, Morecambe, and many others ripped the visitor off for decades, year upon year upon year.

Even when flights to Spain became doable, they still put prices up year in year out. The trade died because of it and yet hoteliers still want spoon fed.

They committed commercial suicide. 

Please don't try to tell me otherwise. I lived through it.

We have some great hotels today and they are doing well. Give the visitor what he wants at a price he can afford.

Well done to the one in Ramsey and good luck to Premier Inn.  

Have you ever owned/run a business?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Is this not progress? That new(ish) hotel in Ramsey for example, seems to be a success. Are you arguing it shouldn't have been built? Seems pretty daft to me. Most of the old hotels on the island were built when en-suite wasn't even a thing, and sure they've been adopted but purpose built new hotels appeal to people these days, clean, white, big beds etc. 

Baffled by the success of the Ramsey hotel

All I'm saying is IOMG could have been more insightful in aiding local hoteliers to make their properties more competitive

Some folks want branded bland bed factories, adventurous travellers seek a truly authentic local hospitality experience

30 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

All I'm saying is IOMG could have been more insightful in aiding local hoteliers to make their properties more competitive

Some folks want branded bland bed factories, adventurous travellers seek a truly authentic local hospitality experience

Clean rooms , reasonable prices and near the park. I have many friends who are regular visitors to the Island and would only stay there. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Does that involve musty carpets , freezing cold rooms and vintage plumbing?

• Like 1

Is that what you have in your house?

15 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

(& a lot else)

just like airbnb.......

51 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Does that involve musty carpets , freezing cold rooms and vintage plumbing?

But therein lies the issue. Existing providers don't have a blank canvas to work from. Converting, modernising, upgrading Edwardian seafront properties would cost significantly more per sqft to achieve the same basic quality as PI. 

I admire Sleepwell Group for what they have done or are doing but it takes deep pockets, imagination & desire to make it work and create the return on investment.

Perhaps we should allow a good proportion of Douglas seafront to fall into dereliction. 

Money is thrown at farmers not to grow stuff but we can't see our way clear to providing funding options for other businessesgbat could contribute to the economy in a positive way.

It's  almost as if IOMG want the visitor industry to fail. It's shameful really.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But therein lies the issue. Existing providers don't have a blank canvas to work from. Converting, modernising, upgrading Edwardian seafront properties would cost significantly more per sqft to achieve the same basic quality as PI. 

I admire Sleepwell Group for what they have done or are doing but it takes deep pockets, imagination & desire to make it work and create the return on investment.

Perhaps we should allow a good proportion of Douglas seafront to fall into dereliction. 

Money is thrown at farmers not to grow stuff but we can't see our way clear to providing funding options for other businessesgbat could contribute to the economy in a positive way.

It's  almost as if IOMG want the visitor industry to fail. It's shameful really.

hotels have had millions thrown at them over the years from taxpayers.........

5 minutes ago, woody2 said:

hotels have had millions thrown at them over the years from taxpayers.........

Any data sources for that?

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Any data sources for that?

Oh dear...

18 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

(& a lot else)

It seems to me that the Government have given grant money, and given the lowest possible rate of VAT . In the year when there was no TT they paid compensation to hoteliers to such an extent that many hotels , allegedly, made more profit that year than in a normal year..You seem to be very supportive of Air BB  which has to be a huge threat to conventional hotels and then blame the government as being a menace to the hospitality business . Personally I have found moaning hoteliers with outdated ideas to be the biggest threat to the  hospitality trade .

Perhaps the government should increase the VAT to 20%, the same as most other service industries  and let the good businesses survive at the expense of the mediocre.