Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Hedgehog

Premier Inn

9 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

A cynic might also observe that the scheme was extended to specifically include all those sort of roles just as the PI was being built too. I’m sure an FOI would be deemed ‘commercially sensitive’. 

This cynic might conclude they got fed up of being overturned by the Work Permit Appeal Tribunal.

Its a shame the judgments aren’t published.

• Like 2

Rumour has it that around half of the employees have walked out already! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

This cynic might conclude they got fed up of being overturned by the Work Permit Appeal Tribunal.

Its a shame the judgments aren’t published.

I agree with you there but exempting people as the WP committee is full of total incompetents isn’t a viable alternative to actually sorting out the problems with our WP system so it works for all. But I wasn’t talking about the WP exemptions but the active adding of hospitality workers employed in those specific roles to the relocation grant scheme while the PI was being built and Travelodge also had plans in. It’s been a given that those roles won’t be going to locals from before day-one. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

30 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It makes you wonder just how hard they do try to get local workers. I recall a long time ago that when firms wanted their own men bringing in from the mainland, all local workers were offered less money for the same job. Disgusting that they were allowed to get away with it. Worst culprits were HS who constructed the Sulby reservoir

Wasn't it SH that built the reservoir?

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well I just read the websites which give the actual picture so I think it would be hard to argue that it’s likely that some assistance may have been given or received. 

Seasonal hospitality work permit exemptions 

Employers within the Hospitality sector can make a request to the Department for specific roles to be exempted, on the basis that no suitable Isle of Man Workers are available to fill the roles

https://www.gov.im/categories/working-in-the-isle-of-man/work-permits/temporary-exemptions/

NI holiday 

https://www.locate.im/relocating/relocating/relocation-incentive

Relocation Grant tourism and hospitality 

https://www.visitisleofman.com/trade/business-hub/employee-relocation-incentive

Is this available to all IOM hotels or just Premier Inn?

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

It makes you wonder just how hard they do try to get local workers. I recall a long time ago that when firms wanted their own men bringing in from the mainland, all local workers were offered less money for the same job. Disgusting that they were allowed to get away with it. Worst culprits were HS who constructed the Sulby reservoir

There they are, digging this hole:

216786034_SulbyReservoir.thumb.jpg.b3af78ee32494be8aa88a45bd1f7451d.jpg

• Like 2

Shephard, Hill. Hard to believe it's nearly 40 years since they were up there. Mind, IoMG's been digging holes for itself long after they left.... :lol:

Doesn't the subsidy require a £30k salary to be offere3d? Hard to imagine a Premier Inn restaurant requiring a £30k chef?

25 minutes ago, MrPB said:

The level is £25k and actually the chefs role is advertised at about £40K there’s a job advert inline somewhere. 

You are correct the salary level to qualify for the relocation grant and the NI break is only £25k. Which is ridiculously low. I’d have thought most jobs in a managerial capacity at PI would qualify. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Rumour has it that around half of the employees have walked out already! 

What a load of shit, posted on a mainly shit thread.  Premier Inns are fantastic.  It’s a great achievement to have one here. Stop fucking moaning about anything new FFS. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, chancer said:

What a load of shit, posted on a mainly shit thread.  Premier Inns are fantastic.  It’s a great achievement to have one here. Stop fucking moaning about anything new FFS. 

Possibly the finest achievement of the Quayle administration?

(Apart from covering Middle constituency in concrete, of course)

17 hours ago, chancer said:

So Chef, how's the new job goin'? :whistling:

• Haha 4

What sort of menu is the Premier Inn offering to it's residents - extensive a la carte or modest set meals?

19 hours ago, chancer said:

Thanks Lawrence...

• Haha 2