Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Hedgehog

Premier Inn

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

I believe it has a Thyme Restaurant, so it will be upmarket Premier Inn, with upmarket prices.

Sample menu

Is the food all free in there then?

55 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I believe it has a Thyme Restaurant, so it will be upmarket Premier Inn, with upmarket prices.

Sample menu

That seems to be the case. I think the salary quoted above has been bandied around for the head chef role so it is clearly going to be more up market. 

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Sample menu

Thanks

Looks like a steak house

Hope the imperial stout in the pie is local

21 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Shephard, Hill. Hard to believe it's nearly 40 years since they were up there. Mind, IoMG's been digging holes for itself long after they left.... :lol:

For us.

Barbary Coast is a busy restaurant, this could have similar appeal?

The menu offers " Something on the Side"!!! That's up to the waitresses surely?

Nothing priced.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chancer said:

What a load of shit, posted on a mainly shit thread.  Premier Inns are fantastic.  It’s a great achievement to have one here. Stop fucking moaning about anything new FFS. 

Indeed it shows that as a tourist destination we're right up there with [examines notes] Slough Trading Estate and Junctions 11 and 24 of the M5.

Premier Inns do what they do very well and have been very good at building up their brand and (more important) maintaining their standards.  But they are hardly exclusive (they have over 750 properties) and their expansion is based on hard-headed assessment of business cases.  It's hardly a 'great achievement' for them to come to the Island - just standard research (though they obviously also worked out that the best way to get anything built was to get Dandara to do it).

It's this sort of response that I always find ridiculous on the Island.  A desire by too many in government to claim credit for other people's work and attack anyone who questions anything about it.  No one has been moaning about Premier, but as I pointed out in  earlier posts, it has to be accepted that they will (mainly) take business away from existing hotels and that they will import their senior staff (at least initially) and nearly all their foodstuffs,  which is why they offer standardised menus.  It's how their business model works and it's very successful, but it tends not to put as much into the local economy for that very reason and it is stupid to ignore that.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's hardly a 'great achievement' for them to come to the Island - just standard research (though they obviously also worked out that the best way to get anything built was to get Dandara to do it).

I could be totally wrong, but my understanding from building trade gossip was that it was sort of the other way round, Dandara approached them (and others) saying 'we've got this patch of land, we'll build you a hotel on it' and that they own the building and will continue to do so, leasing it to the Premier Inn (or franchisee if it is one).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I could be totally wrong, but my understanding from building trade gossip was that it was sort of the other way round, Dandara approached them (and others) saying 'we've got this patch of land, we'll build you a hotel on it' and that they own the building and will continue to do so, leasing it to the Premier Inn (or franchisee if it is one).

I would say you are totally right

I do wonder if they are on a trial initial contract at an attractive leasehold rate to see how things go

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

I believe the manager is a local?

Reminds me of a Kevin Bloody Wilson song, " The Local"

NSFW or snowflakes.

Google it.

Edited by dilligaf

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I believe they tried to get Travel lodge to take a site on South Quay in preference to Lord St? Whatever is happening there?

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Indeed it shows that as a tourist destination we're right up there with [examines notes] Slough Trading Estate and Junctions 11 and 24 of the M5.

Premier Inns do what they do very well and have been very good at building up their brand and (more important) maintaining their standards.  But they are hardly exclusive (they have over 750 properties) and their expansion is based on hard-headed assessment of business cases.  It's hardly a 'great achievement' for them to come to the Island - just standard research (though they obviously also worked out that the best way to get anything built was to get Dandara to do it).

It's this sort of response that I always find ridiculous on the Island.  A desire by too many in government to claim credit for other people's work and attack anyone who questions anything about it.  No one has been moaning about Premier, but as I pointed out in  earlier posts, it has to be accepted that they will (mainly) take business away from existing hotels and that they will import their senior staff (at least initially) and nearly all their foodstuffs,  which is why they offer standardised menus.  It's how their business model works and it's very successful, but it tends not to put as much into the local economy for that very reason and it is stupid to ignore that.

Ditto Travelodge, when they arrive.... eventually, perhaps...... maybe in 10 years time, at which point our visitor demographic will have changed.

35 employees will end up putting money in to the local economy 

a hotel full of guests are going to spend money when they are on island 

as much as people say it will take guests away from existing hotels,  for each one of those people there's another who has made the decision not to visit due to the expensive and poor standard hotels and guest houses

• Like 3