Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Hedgehog

Premier Inn

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

To some extent it is, not least because it consists of more than accommodation.  And of course government and hoteliers (and carriers) should work together to increase visitors.  But in somewhere like the Island the lead in attracting people always has to come from the government because it is the place that people are wanting to come to.  Unfortunately the DfE and its predecessors seem to have been completely uninterested in this the last decade or more (and not much good at it before that).

When government has a vision different to that of industry you will find that goverment thinks it knows best - to me Mr Callister epitomises this

& consequently tourism fails to grow

(I don't agree that government has to lead - in my view the responsibility for sustainable tourism development should be passed to a committee of interest groups led by the sizeable Manx National Heritage but to include Manx Wildlife Trust, Accommodation providers, tourist group organisers, transport providers, etc)

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1

There are many things the government shouldn't be doing, but they have to justify the scale of their existence somehow.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Would "enormity" be a better word..?

I wonder if there's actually any figures to show the size of Government in our society now vs say, 30 years ago?

And what the direct and indirect tax takes were and are to support it?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Would "enormity" be a better word..?

I wonder if there's actually any figures to show the size of Government in our society now vs say, 30 years ago?

And what the direct and indirect tax takes were and are to support it?

And whether anything is being done better as a result. Considering the wonders of technology, we should be able to function with fewer behind the scenes pen pushers, not substantially more. Every area of every department now seems to have the same number or fewer people at the sharp end as years ago, but legions of management, supposedly directing operations, when there were previously just a couple. And these folks don't come cheap.

There is also a credibility gap. Situations abound where qualified, knowledgeable staff, who are running themselves ragged to keep up with day to day crisis management, are being directed or misdirected by higher management who are less or unqualified in the field and yet drawing (I hesitate to say "earning") salaries getting on for double those who actually have the qualifications to do the job. Is it any wonder that they find it difficult to attract and retain good people?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, woolley said:

And whether anything is being done better as a result. Considering the wonders of technology, we should be able to function with fewer behind the scenes pen pushers, not substantially more. Every area of every department now seems to have the same number or fewer people at the sharp end as years ago, but legions of management, supposedly directing operations, when there were previously just a couple. And these folks don't come cheap.

There is also a credibility gap. Situations abound where qualified, knowledgeable staff, who are running themselves ragged to keep up with day to day crisis management, are being directed or misdirected by higher management who are less or unqualified in the field and yet drawing (I hesitate to say "earning") salaries getting on for double those who actually have the qualifications to do the job. Is it any wonder that they find it difficult to attract and retain good people?

Look at Noble's

14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Look at Noble's

Is the restaurant open now?. Has anyone tried it? 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Is the restaurant open now?. Has anyone tried it? 

Post deleted. Failed to appreciate sarcasm :lol:

Edited by thesultanofsheight

4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Post deleted. Failed to appreciate sarcasm :lol:

Lol..I quoted the wrong post. 

I was asking about the restaurant  in the new Premier inn. Barbary coast has gone a bit downhill  nowadays and was looking for an alternative .

1 minute ago, mad_manx said:

Lol..I quoted the wrong post. 

I was asking about the restaurant  in the new Premier inn. Barbary coast has gone a bit downhill  nowadays and was looking for an alternative .

It is open and are also doing deals to get people in apparently. I thought you were asking Dilli about the restaurant in Noble’s. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It is open and are also doing deals to get people in apparently. I thought you were asking Dilli about the restaurant in Noble’s. 

Lol. Hope that i will never have to eat there again. It was horrible and overpriced :-(

I have heard the restaurant in Premier Inn is good and reasonable, I think it may affect Mand S cafeteria that is totally disorganised.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I have heard the restaurant in Premier Inn is good and reasonable 

Hopefully it will force most of H & Bs overpriced pubs in Douglas into a re-think on their over priced and crappy pub food and terrible service too. 

7 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Hopefully it will force most of H & Bs overpriced pubs in Douglas into a re-think on their over priced and crappy pub food and terrible service too. 

I wonder where PI will source their booze from? Would be interesting to make price comparisons when they come online.

Although if they see that most of the population continue to stump up for H&B's prices, albeit with a lot of grumbling, they will probably just set their bar tariffs accordingly?

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I have heard the restaurant in Premier Inn is good and reasonable, I think it may affect Mand S cafeteria that is totally disorganised.

Well, I guess it depends on your interpretation of good. When I have to travel in UK I try and stay in PI but it's not for the food. I go elsewhere. PI food is nutritionally shite.

• Like 1

It was a personal recommendation from a friend who eats out a lot and he was impressed.