Meat plant Scare

There's a brand new documentary just come out called Land of Hope and Glory that gives and excellent overview of the farming practices in the British Isles.Well worth a watch.

10 hours ago, woolley said:

Yeah. You don't live longer, it just seems like it.

I've heard this 'funny' trotted out many times.  I'm not a vegan but I don't eat animal corpses. For me it's not about what I've given up but what I've gained. I'm healthier, happier and less sick than I ever been in my life and I have an inner peace knowing I'm living in a non violent way and that I'm not participating in the exploration of the vulnerable. So if I live longer knowing I've done my bit then, yes, I hope it does feel like it.

We're protected from the truth.  We've been lied to from birth so that farmers get richer.  We're distanced from the absolute horror of what goes on in transporting and the slaughter of animals, none of whom  have chosen to die. We see meat in polystyrene packets in the supermarket and it's all sanitised and made friendly and it's all part of the plan to stop us thinking about the reality of what we are doing and what goes on behind the scenes. 

We buy milk and believe the lie that it gives us calcium but we are not told that it is full of puss and antibiotics.  We believe that it comes from cows grazing on grass all day before slowly meandering to the dairy parlour.  We do not see the artificial insemination, the calves being born and being immediately taken away from their grieving mothers.  We do not see that the male calves are sent to slaughter and the female calves (if they are lucky) have one year only out in the field until the whole cycle begins again and their next 5/6 years are spent being pregnant and in barns having their milk taken from them twice a day. . And all because we think milk is good for us and we couldn't possibly drink a brew without a drop of milk.

I have a friend who used to work at the Manx slaughterhouse (the real name, not the 'meat processing plant') and he told me of things that would make you horrified and, believe me, if you really knew what went on up there you'd never eat another bit of meat in your (longer) life.

If you eat meat and believe it is good for you and for the environment then watch Land of Hope and Glory.  And if you can't watch it then ask yourself why.

Edited by ecobob
  • Like 2
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know a couple of vegans  . What a fucking miserable existance

7.78 million hits (as it were)!

There is no such thing as "safe" meat. It's all bad for your health. People should do research on taking up a vegetarian or vegan diet. I am more than happy to offer advice.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, thebees said:

Hahaha vegans, they're amusing.

Why?  Why are they amusing?  Why don't you offer up some kind of explanation instead of just having a petty, childish little snipe.  I myself am not vegan by the way however I am capable of accommodating other people's beliefs and lifestyles whereas you are just content to sit there and snipe.  What an empty person you are.

I'm not squeamish so I doubt that I would be put off eating meat by a film or lurid tales from "someone who once worked at a slaughterhouse". We are omnivores so we eat meat is the way I look at it. If veganism works for you, great. I'm not against it. Adherents do get a bit preachy though.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Caesar said:

I'm sure anybody who knows you has a fucking miserable existence. :lol:

I'm very happy and content. I eat a broader, more diverse and tastier range of foods than I ever did when I ate meat.

I imagine your favourite dish is a Caesar salad then?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, PottyLisa said:

Some of the more hardcore vegans do go a bit far.  Some have a tempered concern for animal welfare, some for health reasons, others can be quite fanatical.

That is true.  To me your far more likely to change someone's behaviour by example rather than making them feel like shit for their choices.

And that was not my intention Woolley. I respect your choices.  My anger stems from the lies we have been told.  

Take a look at the documentary and let us know what you think.  This is not about me trying to change you, this is about me trying to tell you that we have been lied to and and are continuing to be lied to.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Max Power said:

The thing is run by farmers, what do they know about running what is essentially a food factory? All vested interests, a lot sending their livestock to the UK for slaughter, it's a disgrace!

I disagree. The overall boss is a highly experienced food industry expert with years of experience of running large scale operations. 

Not really. Allan skillicorn (the chairman) is thick as shit and has a history of animal welfare issues on his own farm. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, PottyLisa said:

Why?  Why are they amusing?  Why don't you offer up some kind of explanation instead of just having a petty, childish little snipe.  I myself am not vegan by the way however I am capable of accommodating other people's beliefs and lifestyles whereas you are just content to sit there and snipe.  What an empty person you are.

Ha, you twat :) x

• Like 2
10 hours ago, thebees said:

Sorry :) I made a smiley face and did a kiss so as not to offend however, I unreservedly apologise if I have caused offence.

I dropped my tea and scones at such unladylike language...:wub: