DED spit the dummy over Airbnb?

Manx Bean

From what little I have read, it would seem that Airbnb has taken the tourism market by storm, and is in effect self-regulating. Having had friends stay in some official tourism registered properties, I would their inspection and grading regime is fundamentally flawed. Having a system where both the premises and potential guest are both reviewed independently (as Airbnb) seems far more workable and practical. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

It seems to me basically a story used to piggyback the message that airbb is not allowed over here. Probably after reading about it on here. Maybe a coincidence though. 

But says who? Or is this the Manx Mafia speaking - the ones who are scared of real competition? If enough people register their property on Airbnb I very much doubt DED/Enterprise/Whatever - would have the capacity or means to take them all to court. Besides, I understand that AGs Chambers are woefully under resourced and months behind anyway - so I'd be inclined to carry on regardless...!!

Edited by Manx Bean

17 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

How are they spitting the dummy?

its bang on in that people shouldn't be allowed to let their houses and rooms out without confirming for the standards other operators (who actually do it for a business) do  

Just now, notwell said:

How are they spitting the dummy?

its bang on in that people shouldn't be allowed to let their houses and rooms out without confirming for the standards other operators (who actually do it for a business) do  

My point Notwell is that in reality, Airbnb is self-regulating and doing a better job!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tarne said:

It seems awfully coincidental though TSE. Same governments that try to ban Uber and Lyft, and yet they're fantastic. 

Uber is far from great for taxi drivers. In the uk it is simply resulting in a whole sector of people who can no longer make a living. We should be careful what we wish for