DED spit the dummy over Airbnb?

Manx Bean

10 hours ago, ParishPump said:

Most people seem to have an issue. Rob has made a total twat out of himself on his own Facebook page. Makes you wonder why he jumped the gun on an official DED press release in order to try to make himself look good first. Will he ever learn (no he won't)? 

Typical of Callister. Tries to be clever and get his own message out before Manx Radio or anyone else covers it so bangs something out on his Facebook page and gets totally caned for it. You'd think the DED would embargo this stuff so it all goes out at the same time with the same message. Not allow some egocentric clown to undercut their own media people and send out his own statement on his own Facebook page with a slightly different message 12 hours before the mainstream media covers it.

The man is clearly just an awful (hopeless in fact) media whore who simply can't help but try to make everything look solely about him regardless of the departmental media message that probably needs to be coordinated in a consistent and professional manner in order to manage public expectations and avoid unnecessary public criticism. All he seems to have on his Facebook page now is messages from people he's upset. Now the real IOMG media people are going to have to manage all the moaners on Facebook and Twitter who have been given a head start based on a poorly done announcement pushed out on Facebook by one of their own Dept members. 

Will they ever get a refund on his media training? 

Edited by ArtieChoke
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ArtieChoke said:

Typical of Callister. Tries to be clever and get his own message out before Manx Radio or anyone else covers it so bangs something out on his Facebook page and gets totally caned for it. You'd think the DED would embargo this stuff so it all goes out at the same time with the same message. Not allow some egocentric clown to undercut their own media people and send out his own statement on his own Facebook page with a slightly different message 12 hours before the mainstream media covers it.

The man is clearly just an awful (hopeless in fact) media whore who simply can't help but try to make everything look solely about him regardless of the departmental media message that probably needs to be coordinated in a consistent and professional manner in order to manage public expectations and avoid unnecessary public criticism. All he seems to have on his Facebook page now is messages from people he's upset. Now the real IOMG media people are going to have to manage all the moaners on Facebook and Twitter who have been given a head start based on a poorly done announcement pushed out on Facebook by one of their own Dept members. 

Will they ever get a refund on his media training? 

it takes them months to cover anything.......

Edited by woody2

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

The website is now up and running. It looks like it was pimped before it was ready to go.

£50 registration seems a lot. So you can take up to £1800 tax free. That is virtually impossible to achieve for the average homestay over the TT. Most Homestays will be for a few days over the middle weekend, say 5 nights at 2 x £30  = £300. Under normal circumstances they'd likely be paying only 10% of tax on that, even 20%. It's hardly worth bothering but if people are that willing to do their bit for the TT then fair enough.

I don't agree.  You can easily get much more than that per night.  Easily.

And if you rent your house out to four people you should easily be able to get 240 quid a day.  

I know a few people who have done that and gone away for a week. The income helped pay towards a holiday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notwell said:

I don't agree.  You can easily get much more than that per night.  Easily.

And if you rent your house out to four people you should easily be able to get 240 quid a day.  

I know a few people who have done that and gone away for a week. The income helped pay towards a holiday.

Yes, yes, yes, I know people who have let out their whole flat for the whole fucking fortnight and got a couple of grand. Well actually I know one. The rest I know do a few days and are not geared up and have neither the energy nor desire to do multiple lettings.

You will note that I was talking generally, not sat over some fucking dinner table quaffing brandy bragging to my mates how Cynthia down the road let her house out for an absolute fortune during TT and spent the fortnight in Venice and not a motorbike in sight.

After £50 registration, the average and majority of households stick to the recommended rate which is (max) £30 for an ensuite with breakfast. Not many have a spare ensuite anyway and will go for the lower recommended rate.

The increase from £1500 to £1800 is a virtually meaningless figure, and was that anyway. A stupid carrot of a figure. It's not an incentive. The whole thing is starting to look like a pisstake.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ArtieChoke said:

You'd think the DED would embargo this stuff so it all goes out at the same time with the same message. Not allow some egocentric clown to undercut their own media people and send out his own statement on his own Facebook page with a slightly different message 12 hours before the mainstream media covers it

I hear he's been spoken to about this but ignores the advice.

40 minutes ago, piebaps said:

I hear he's been spoken to about this but ignores the advice.

That does not surprise me but how can they have a total buffoon like that doing what he does? He clearly did it deliberately for his own benefit (he thought at least) as Manx Radio only ran with it from this morning. He had piles of complaints on his own Facebook page by 9:00pm as what he said was positioned badly and then it all kicked off on Twitter via the IOM TT followers. This seems to be the problem with most of the totally moronic things that he does as it's all about ME, ME, ME. I would guess the whole of the DED is now on the back foot because of that total cretin trying to make himself look good and not thinking about the consequences of his half assed attempt at self promotion. It was always going to be contentious but now he's just made it open season on the DED before their own press release had even landed properly. 

Edited by ArtieChoke
  • Like 1