DED spit the dummy over Airbnb?

Manx Bean

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Personally I am reassured that it was a "full tender process".

Just like last time...

Yes, to a company that seems to have not even set up a website or a booking system that's going to charge £50 a year for a service they used to charge £10 for. Sounds like a typical DED rigorous tender process. 

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Parish pump you need to understand that we, the people of the isle of man, need to 'maximise the brand'. Get on board.

Yes the cult is chanting but nobody's seeing it except the DED whose fees are going up. There are 28 comments on his FB page and about 24 were negative. It does make you wonder why he can't wait for someone with some skill to write and position a proper press release rather than cobble a half assed one together that is positioned totally wrong and raises too many negative issues and stick it on his Facebook page before anything appears anywhere else simply to be shot down in flames within a few hours. Government must be due a massive refund on that media training course. 

Edited by ParishPump
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ParishPump said:

Yes, to a company that seems to have not even set up a website or a booking system that's going to charge £50 a year for a service they used to charge £10 for. Sounds like a typical DED rigorous tender process. 

How does the increase in charge correlate to any tender process?

45 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Someone needs to go "Just fucking stop it". Government doesn't need to be involved with this at all. 

Have to agree im afraid....'Hi there is that the DED...so yes I believe that the company you used for years for Homestay is closed down and under investigation for criminal activity, I believe you have now appointed a new company to manage it. So basically I will undertake all the effort of readying my house for homestay, I will look after my guests (who are regular visitors and now friends too). I will relocate myself and my family at my expense to accommodate my homestay guests so that they can enjoy TT and spend their money here....so I am just calling you so that you can charge me a fee for the privilege and tax me on the money I receive......and for this you do exactly what for me ?!'

F**K the F**K OFF !!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sausage said:

Have to agree im afraid....'Hi there is that the DED...so yes I believe that the company you used for years for Homestay is closed down and under investigation for criminal activity, I believe you have now appointed a new company to manage it. So basically I will undertake all the effort of readying my house for homestay, I will look after my guests (who are regular visitors and now friends too). I will relocate myself and my family at my expense to accommodate my homestay guests so that they can enjoy TT and spend their money here....so I am just calling you so that you can charge me a fee for the privilege and tax me on the money I receive......and for this you do exactly what for me ?!'

F**K the F**K OFF !!

Taxed on the money you receive? I thought you could earn this second income tax free up to £1500. I am.

£50 quid to register. Wow that's really going to sting me when I'm raking it in for 4 weeks per year. My guests get the spare bedroom and I leave stuff for breakfast, hardly a hardship for me.

• Like 1