DED spit the dummy over Airbnb?

Manx Bean

7 hours ago, woody2 said:

http://www.iomhomestay.com/index.html

taken from your post.....

Taken from Callisters post and that is very much a holding page. The press release (such as it is) says that the new website and booking platform are yet to be set up. As others have pointed out above how can you get given a government contract when nothing you are promising to do appears to have actually been set up? 

Edited by ParishPump

3 minutes ago, ParishPump said:

Taken from Callisters post and that is very much a holding page. The press release (such as it is) says that the new website and booking platform are yet to be set up. As others have pointed out above how can you get given a government contract when nothing you are promising to do appears to have actually been set up? 

which you posted:rolleyes:

website looks nearly complete......

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

Why is Homestay income untaxed? 

It was to encourage an offer of accommodation at a time when the Island was woefully short. It's a good idea and bearing in mind how much you can earn from it the registration fee isn't that bad. It is well policed and TT visitors know it and know what they are getting. I don't know who regulates airbnb, are properties subject to an inspection?

Anyway just remember this is an opportunity to earn tax free income, it's not compulsory no-one has to do it, it isn't the toilet tax so I don't really know why so many are whingeing and bitching about it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, woody2 said:

which you posted:rolleyes:

website looks nearly complete......

And yet they say in their own press release

‘The focus now is a new website for the Homestay Scheme to show all the approved government registered accommodations available for the TT and Festival of Motorcycling, followed by the creation of a new interactive online Homestay experience, to make the booking process easier and quicker for visitors and hosts alike.’

I appreciate you're only trying to start a pointless fight. But you could at least try harder and get your facts right. The provider itself has said that neither the site or the booking system is up and running. That is clearly a holding page. 

Edited by ParishPump

2 minutes ago, ParishPump said:

And yet they say in their own press release

‘The focus now is a new website for the Homestay Scheme to show all the approved government registered accommodations available for the TT and Festival of Motorcycling, followed by the creation of a new interactive online Homestay experience, to make the booking process easier and quicker for visitors and hosts alike.’

I appreciate you're only trying to start a pointless fight. But you could at least try harder and get your facts right. The provider itself has said that neither the site or the booking system is up and running. That is clearly a holding page. 

you claimed no website, just pointing out the link was in your post ffs.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Anyway just remember this is an opportunity to earn tax free income, it's not compulsory no-one has to do it, it isn't the toilet tax so I don't really know why so many are whingeing and bitching about it.

Not everyone is in a position to do it, in fact I'd say just a minority of the island's taxpayers are able to offer spare rooms. It amounts to yet another subsidy that the island's taxpayers throw at roadracing. It should be subject to income tax. 

2 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Not everyone is in a position to do it, in fact I'd say just a minority of the island's taxpayers are able to offer spare rooms. It amounts to yet another subsidy that the island's taxpayers throw at roadracing. It should be subject to income tax. 

what would the corpy renters do then....

35 minutes ago, ParishPump said:

If you're tendering for a contract, you wouldn't invest in developing the full website/booking system until you'd secured that contract.

• Like 4

Just now, woody2 said:

what would the corpy renters do then....

I have no idea of the demographics of the Homestay providers but if people are cashing in from their subsidised housing it's a double hit for the taxpayer. Everything to do with the TT seems to be untouchable on the island, it's quite peculiar. I suppose it's the result of the type of person that has chosen to settle and integrate on the island over the years. 

The website is now up and running. It looks like it was pimped before it was ready to go.

£50 registration seems a lot. So you can take up to £1800 tax free. That is virtually impossible to achieve for the average homestay over the TT. Most Homestays will be for a few days over the middle weekend, say 5 nights at 2 x £30  = £300. Under normal circumstances they'd likely be paying only 10% of tax on that, even 20%. It's hardly worth bothering but if people are that willing to do their bit for the TT then fair enough.

Edited by gettafa